Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

B&M worth it?

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
Fair enough, good point, however once a box is kitted, you'll never match the gear change time of hydraulic oil with your hands and feet, these days with technology, the lag and friction has reduced so much that the advantage would barely be felt, not in the average street car anyway. This would offset the few kw saved in the power lost.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Fair enough, good point, however once a box is kitted, you'll never match the gear change time of hydraulic oil with your hands and feet, these days with technology, the lag and friction has reduced so much that the advantage would barely be felt, not in the average street car anyway. This would offset the few kw saved in the power lost.

Wrong discussion. I said you have less 'drivetrain loss' with a manual, which is correct. I'm not playing the auto v manual game with you again, and ruining another thread, both of our opinions are clearly known on the matter.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
Geez, why not kick the dog while you are at it......

OP-Yes shift kits are worth it, you will not gain any power however you will save a lot of time over the shift changes.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Having driven all types (stock auto, shift kitted auto, and manual) i have to say manual is the best option. Since its a daily. If it was purely a strip car, then it might make more sense for you to have a auto. It has and always will be: Manual > Shift kitted auto > Auto

This comes down to personal preference tho, but hey, you asked for people opinions :)

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
Your answer is way off topic, he didnt ask how to get more power out of his car, and engine mods would crap all over an auto - manual swap anyway. The question was does a kit give more power, answer - no, it does not.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Your answer is way off topic, he didnt ask how to get more power out of his car, and engine mods would crap all over an auto - manual swap anyway. The question was does a kit give more power, answer - no, it does not.

And I answered with a shift kit wont get more power, but a manual conversion will.
Your on the auto/manual thing again. I replied to THIS thread, not your thread a few months ago. Stop living in the past.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
Ok, if you say so, he probably could have asked what is a good movie and your answer would have been 'get a manual', I think you should move on.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, if you say so, he probably could have asked what is a good movie and your answer would have been 'get a manual', I think you should move on.

I offered an alternative that DOES give power from the same part of the car. Deal with it.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Argue over PM keyboard warriors. Let the guys thread stay clean of unnecessary banter.

As said, a shift kit won't make more power. Firmer shifts will result and may give an impression of more go. No matter what you do to the gearbox, you won't gain more engine power. You will however change the amount of power lost from the engine to the rear wheels by going manual.

There are many options available if you want to feel like you have more power eg lower diff ratio.

How much more power are you wanting. You have a V6 and you can do little mods like CAI and extractors/exhausts and tunes, but in my opinion, save up for a stock V8 and save money by not modding your current ride. Because the stock V8 will have more power than a slightly modded V6 generally.

I have a $5000 shift kitted full manual auto in my 500hp VL Turbo. I have a standard 5sp Auto in my VZ Alloytec190 Calais. Now regardless of the power difference, the difference in a shift kitted auto is so different. Even under part throttle it does feel like the car has more go due to the next gear not sliding in like the gearbox in the Calais.

And the benefit of a shift kit is normally a faster firmer change hence, when you hit the next gear, it should change faster and more instant than a factory auto.

But in essence, a shift kit will only give the impression of more poke from your car. Engine power won't change and I wouldn't bother doing it unless you had mods already that have given quite a considerable power upgrade from standard.

Regards
Matt

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
Agreed and well explained!