Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BAD gearbox problem!!!! :(

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
hi all, i got mate and we were driving along the freeway just cruising, and his auto gearbox all of a sudden went spastic, went CRUNCH and car start losing speed, we went onto emergency, pulled over, checked for leaks, nothing, went to take off, it feels like its chugging, and wont go over say 30kmph, wtf is it?

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
hi all, i got mate and we were driving along the freeway just cruising, and his auto gearbox all of a sudden went spastic, went CRUNCH and car start losing speed, we went onto emergency, pulled over, checked for leaks, nothing, went to take off, it feels like its chugging, and wont go over say 30kmph, wtf is it?

sounds like something has let go when was its last service and how is the car driven eg burnouts heavy load from a stand still ect ect

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
not sure about last service, and its kinda obv something has let go, im just wondering what, hes paying me to fix it aswell so yeah, and last service im not sure about but judging by his sticker on windscreen it says hes gotta have it done in another 8thousand kms

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
not sure about last service, and its kinda obv something has let go, im just wondering what, hes paying me to fix it aswell so yeah, and last service im not sure about but judging by his sticker on windscreen it says hes gotta have it done in another 8thousand kms

right so its had regular servicing , id recommend ya probably go buy a ebay special than rebuild it

probably a band let go possibly alot more damage because of it , i wouldn't trust it if only the band is replaced

either full rebuild or a replacement and yet again how is the car driven ?

thedeadwalk

thedeadwalk
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S2
auto you say it sounds like the gearbox spat its bearings

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
sorry didnt read properly, it isnt driven hard every day, its done in total probably 3 burnouts, (stand stills and not till tyres popped either) and occasional fun in the wet but not manged hard, is it expensive fix??

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
sorry didnt read properly, it isnt driven hard every day, its done in total probably 3 burnouts, (stand stills and not till tyres popped either) and occasional fun in the wet but not manged hard, is it expensive fix??

rebuilds can be and so can recode boxes i suggested ebay as i have bought 2 boxes of there to fit to other cars and the owners of the cars they went into have never had an issue yet

just another thought dose it make any noises at all since the issue (the gearbox)

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
clunks, but not loud, i was thinking maybe its the torque convertor?? s#$T itself?

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
clunks, but not loud, i was thinking maybe its the torque convertor?? s#$T itself?

possibly or the bolts have come out wich could explain why it moves but wont over a certain speed id check the converter before anything else the vn/vps have a habit of loosening converter bolts and cracking flywheels