Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad Tyres?

T

Thanh Ha

I recently bought a Commodore VT, got a roadworthy certifcate and got new tyres for it.

However, it seems that when I turn (relatively slowly even) in the rain, the back of the car swerves left and right.

When I was up a slight hill today (also in the rain), about 35 degrees up, when I had stopped and tried to accelerate, not too fast but not too softly, it felt as if it was stuck in a gear, the car wouldn't move.

Is the problem the tyres or can other parts of the car be affecting it as well?

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I'd say tyres. How easy do they spin in the dry?
Are they a soft or are they a really hard feeling compound.

Were they cheap, or are they old?

I've got some old tyres on my car currently, wheelspin happens fairly easily in the dry, in the wet its a joke..But they are on their deliberately. So I can have my fun.

T

Thanh Ha

bextor84 said:
I'd say tyres. How easy do they spin in the dry?
Are they a soft or are they a really hard feeling compound.

Were they cheap, or are they old?

I've got some old tyres on my car currently, wheelspin happens fairly easily in the dry, in the wet its a joke..But they are on their deliberately. So I can have my fun.
They are supposedly brand new. It says Doral on the wheels, I suspect they may be cheap.

If it was swerving because I was driving too fast in the rain ok, but I wasn't, was just turning around a fairly large roundabout, about to straighten up when that happens. So I wasn't even taking a sharp turn, never happened before in any other car I've driven.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
ive noticed with my new tyres they seem slippery when wet. they are falkens. someone told me that they were really good for grip but dont last as long. but from what i have experienced they are slippery as hell.

T

Thanh Ha

Thing is it doesn't appear like I have any problems with braking in the wet.

Is there any sort of rule of thumb as to how much speed you get up to on decent tyres in hard rain before it starts swerving? I think at that roundabout, I was travelling around 25-30K, 40 max. Fairly large roundabout too, so the turn wasn't that sharp.

I'm afraid the next time this happen, the car will swerve into someone else.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Might have to drive slower then.

A mate got new rear tyres for 10 dollars each or something, worsed tyres ever, I drove his car one night, was coming into my street, damp road, less then 1/4 throttle around the corner and i nearly looped it..

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
"new tyres don't grip"

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
In my experience I with new tyres they always grip better as new and as the age goes on they seem to loose their grip, I don't know whether the rubber or compound goes hard or what ever.
If they are brand new tyres and they are as bad as that I would be buying some new ones before you kill yourself. If they break traction that easy I would hate to see how they go around corners. (Especially in the wet.) Braking would have to be affected here as well.

Cheers,
Jim b)

Cheers,
Jim

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
sometimes when they're brand new, they still have the wax used in the moulding process on them. i'm talking brand new, out of the tyre store, not just "new"