Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Balance shaft worn?

B

Bevan33

Hi,

A trusted mechanic has told me the rattle coming from my engine is a worn timing chain and possible worn balance shaft?

If the balance shaft is worn is there any way of fixing it other than pulling the engine out and stripping it?

For example, can it be resleeved or something?

Has anyone got any ideas. They are telling me the cheapest option would be a $3000 engine replacement if the balance shaft is rooted???

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
Not too sure bout the shaft but yeh $3000 for replacement engine thats a bit steep!!!

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I thought the rattle was the timing chain too....replaced it and with all that work ...started it and rattle still there....think it might be the excessive clearance in the balance shaft gears....won't go bang just annoys me .

jNINE

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
I have a 'couple'
O/s bearings on the balance shaft?? My cam bearing was flogged out so we used an .010 oversize one instead of replacing the cam.

B

Bevan33

Wouldn't the motor still need to be pulled out and stripped to put in oversize bearings?

jNINE

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
I have a 'couple'
Mine was done when the engine was being rebuilt and out of the car.... It was actually a 2nd hand one that was a bit worn so we had to use the o/s ones and get the crank ground etc etc...

Timing chain can be replaced without removing the engine. Maybe a second hand lower k engine may be your best bet if your bearings are worn.

B

Bevan33

Thanks jNINE. Do you know what a good low k engine would be worth?

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
You could yank the motor and give it a bit of a freshen up for under 3k...depends, if your bottom end is ok, then you get off cheaper again!