Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ball joint

Schwarz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000
If you put the nut back at the top nd use a bit of crc nd a hammer will the ball joint pop out of the bracket on the back of the hub

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Are you talking about the one that attaches to the steering rack? If you are, just hit the part of the KNUCKLE (not the ball joint or anything attached to it) that surround that ball joint really hard with a hammer a few times or use a ball joint remover.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you are replacing the BJ and you can't get it to budge RJKs way, then remove the nut altogether and hit the top of the BJ. Don't leave the nut on or you won't be able to undo it as the BJ will spin.

Schwarz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000
Its stuck on tight I think I'll go grab a tool for it I thought giving it a good whack it would pop down

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Trust me, belt the knuckle as hard as you can, don't be afraid of breaking it.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Sometimes if the ball joint taper is tight givng the nut a belt can cause even more problems.
On the Austin we had this issue and the joint taper did drop down a tad but the nut wouldn't undo so out came the 1mm cut off wheel and we gave the taper a trim to separate the ball joint from the knuckle. Drop into the Supercheap tomorrow and buy a ball joint separator tool.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8

At the 1:00 min mark is all you need to do.

Sometimes they need even more force with the hammer if the idiot that put them in did the nut up way to tight.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That hammer method is not always successful, most of the time it works but not every time. Sometimes they need to be hit on the ball joint. We tried for 10mins and mine wouldn't release, even with the sledge hammer, and the crow bar as a lever. Gave up and belted the nut. Trouble was i should have taken the nut right off. It was a bastard to hold the BJ and undo the nut the rest of the way.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Get a bigger hammer don't be afraid of hitting it, also put like another solid device like a sledge hammer against the other side as you hit, it acts as a counter blow and should make it pop.