Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ballzups VH SL/E Restoration. (Valentine)

RACE5L

Solid cammed
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 355
It's always great to see progress ;) Looking forward to seeing it in colour ;)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Under the seat would be another decent place for aftermarket radio if want keep dash standard.

Got offered some doof doof gear for mine then got reminded it's too angry & loud anyway.

Look forward to colour going on!

Ballzup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 1984
Under the seat would be another decent place for aftermarket radio if want keep dash standard.

Got offered some doof doof gear for mine then got reminded it's too angry & loud anyway.

Look forward to colour going on!

Yeah I thought about under the seat as there's plenty of room under there. Can make cleaning difficult though.

As for the necessity of the stereo. I get what you mean. Def nice to hear the engine purr but im not doing anything too crazy to it mechanically as it's just going to be a cruiser.

The stereo won't be over the top. Just high quality gear so I can enjoy those long drives.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore

Ballzup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 1984
For audio could always put in one of these

Thanks Mate! A friend told me about these but couldn't remember the name of the company.

They are a bit pricey but looking at what i was likely to spend on a modern head unit the difference isn't huge.

Tants

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE Shadowtone
Alternatively as you use your phone for music use the standard head unit and have it modified for a 3.5mm aux input. Add an amp and decent speakers under existing covers. Not high end, but effective.

Ballzup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 1984
Alternatively as you use your phone for music use the standard head unit and have it modified for a 3.5mm aux input. Add an amp and decent speakers under existing covers. Not high end, but effective.

Downfall to that is that I'm picky when it comes to cables. Must be blutooth and I'm also going to try and build a remote into the steering wheel. I reckon I'll either have to go with one of those expensive retrsound units or install a current head unit in the boot.

Thanks for the suggestion though. The more advice I get the better. Interesting that the original units can have a 3.5mm jack added to them.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Downfall to that is that I'm picky when it comes to cables. Must be blutooth and I'm also going to try and build a remote into the steering wheel. I reckon I'll either have to go with one of those expensive retrsound units or install a current head unit in the boot.

Thanks for the suggestion though. The more advice I get the better. Interesting that the original units can have a 3.5mm jack added to them.
Have a look here discusses both 3.5 jack and bluetooth

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
I love VH SL/E's and have been looking for one myself for a project/resto, trouble is finding one these days that is half decent and isn't exorbitantly priced.
$25k for paint...ouch... I suppose you get what you pay for, but still..
Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Any chance of getting the pics on the first page to work?

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Are you keeping the engine relatively standard or are you going to do some engine mods? A mate of mine changed his VH SLE motor to a black VK EFI rebuilt/refurbished motor (I think he bought it via REPCO...warranty, the works). I believe (haven't seen him in a while, he's OS atm) he did do some work on the head to give the black motor a bit more oomph. His car was also a family hand-me-down and it was immaculate apart from some of the rotten door dings that all Commodores seem to get if they visit a shopping centre. He had the dings taken out by a PDR guy and the car just looks great. It has that metallic blue colour that's just a shade darker that the VC "Atlantis blue" colour.

BTW...he bought one of those retro radio head units from Ebay. Had it fitted by a proper installer and it works a treat...bluetooth and all.
P.S. I HATE door dings!!! I wish some people (especially women...sorry ladies...) would just be a touch more considerate.