Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Barina 2004 diagnostic connector location??

duca1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
Hi there,
My dads partners Barina has a fault code and i have a scan tool and i am just wondering where i can find the diagnostic connector in this car?
Thank you!

duca1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
Managed to find the connector, but my elm327 obd2 doesnt work properly with it, it connects to the ECU fine it just doesnt give rev readings ect ect. Only VERY few options are available and it says there are no error codes when searched. I have the program torque pro on my android. Is there anywhere i can get a scan tool for this Barina, they are imported cars so i have no clue where to find a scan tool that will work with it
tHanks

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
hmmm, tricky. I'm not 100% on this, but obd2 didn't become mandatory until 2004 & 2007 from memory. One of those is diesel the other petrol engines. The other thing is which protocol they are using, as they still can use different protocols. Now since you connected to the car and have some readings, I'd think that points to OBD2 (as does the connector). But not definite. Now I just grabbed my Tech2 and scrolled through looking for the Barina, but it doesn't come up as an option until the 2006 model year. Kind of rules out finding someone with a Tech2 even (which was going to be my suggestion). Might have something to do with it being imported, I don't know. The thing is different cars will transmit different data too. For example, my VE shows a shed load of info with my ELM327, but the Landcruiser 200 series shows a lot less. Plus on the VE at least, it only shows "P" (powertrain) codes and not "B"ody, "C"hassis or network ("U") codes. So it won't show everything. But I shall assume you have a check engine light and that's why you know you have a code, which should be a "P" code as far as I know. Sorry about the rambling, insomnia is a bitch.

So some things to try that I can think of.

Find out what protocol the car is running. Also look for what it's called overseas if you can't find it. If you have a manual for it, it may be in there. Then check your ELM327 works with that protocol, or find one that does. You'll probably need to know this to find any scan tool that will work with it.

Try to find out if there's another way of finding out codes. eg. in my old VN, codes were read by shorting out 2 pins on the diagnostic connector which caused the CEL to flash a code. Again, a manual would help here.

Try another program other than Torque, there's a few freebies around you can try. But I use Torque myself as I found it to be the best and friendliest.

Worst option is see if you can figure out what's causing the code. Can you tell something is wrong or is behaving differently? Then post back on the chance you can give enough info for someone smart to give suggestions on what to do to check or confirm what the issue is.

Umm, that's all I can think of at the moment. Best of luck.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
elm327's are fair rubbish. they will pull generic OBD and OBD2 codes but each brand of car uses a different "language" for the BCM and engine management. scan tools that allow mods to revs/zero point calibrations/key coding etc to generic models are around 8 grand.

you may be lucky and find a program online thatll let you tweak a barins. but youll have to hunt high and low for it.

an example of this would be Nissan's Consult. Nissan have made it so you can pull your OBD codes with an elm but thats it. they use a code system called Consult (i, ii, and iii) which means any scantool under 2 grand is useless. nissan charge 16 grand for a consult ready scantool. a few guys have hacked consult I and II, but im yet to find a hack for III

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
What he said ^^^^^

It's like VAG-COM for VW, Audi and Porsche
STAR in Mercedes
HiCOM in Hyundai/Kia
FoCOM in Ford Mazda
FiCom in Fiat

or

OpCOM for Opel.... hint hint hint

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka

N costa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf
Hi there,
My dads partners Barina has a fault code and i have a scan tool and i am just wondering where i can find the diagnostic connector in this car?
Thank you!
It’s located under ash try near gear pole

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
One would think it would have been found after 7 years....If not, there are big problems