Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery/Charging Issue

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Um had been sitting overnight, got about a 10 minute drive then maybe 30 mins sitting before I took reading.

Car is 100% stock so just the 6 stacker, but was only on the radio at the time....

I'll have more of a dig around the back of the alt, see if I can work out what I should be reading off (there's just nothing that clearly runs off it, there's a conduit running right behind the damn thing).

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Ok, another set of reading.

Car off about 12.7

Idle with only radio 12.9-13.2V

Idle with highbeams 12.5 -12.7V

Radiator takes about .2-.3 off any of the above readings.

Under load it does now seem to kick up the voltage, with highbeams it gets to about 13.5V, about 13.8V with rad and 14V with just radio.

I took off the engine cover to get into things better, the harness for the alt looks like it's pulled pretty tight but can't see any accurate way of getting a reading (excuse noobness, it doesn't seem to take a reading through wire with plastic coat).

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
try turning literaly everything on your car on, high beams, radio, interior light, thermo fan, window de froster, and take a reading, if it is realy low then your alternator isnt charging enough to sustain the car

-Junior-

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn auto
Ok, another set of reading.

Car off about 12.7

Idle with only radio 12.9-13.2V

Idle with highbeams 12.5 -12.7V

Radiator takes about .2-.3 off any of the above readings.

Under load it does now seem to kick up the voltage, with highbeams it gets to about 13.5V, about 13.8V with rad and 14V with just radio.

I took off the engine cover to get into things better, the harness for the alt looks like it's pulled pretty tight but can't see any accurate way of getting a reading (excuse noobness, it doesn't seem to take a reading through wire with plastic coat).

What do you mean by this?
If you are losing .2 - .3 through the radiator(?) then there is another problem (Earth side).

The rest of the numbers now look good and if there is a problem with above, then it will only get better when sorted.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Sorry mate I just meant that the voltage drops by 0.2-0.3V when the radiator fans kick in.

So you're thinking it's more an issue with the battery being rooted I assume?

456adam

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
Have you checked your ground wires, they could be loose/corroded.

-Junior-

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn auto
Sorry mate I just meant that the voltage drops by 0.2-0.3V when the radiator fans kick in.

So you're thinking it's more an issue with the battery being rooted I assume?

O.K. That sounds better.
As for the battery, if it is a straight crank batt (which I assume it is) then yes the worst thing that you can do is run it flat. I still beleive that you need to get it checked for state of health.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
No worries, I will call out RACQ shortly - really just wanted to be sure it wasn't the alt first :)

Yeah and it is a crank only batt...

Will give them a buzz and see if it's something that might be covered under warranty.

-Junior-

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn auto
Just don't tell em bout the thing going flat so many times.;)

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Oooooooooook

Car being a pain in the ass still... started fine this afternoon, went to restart later and nothing... not even half a crank. RACQ out and tested the batt - fine (bugger lol), alternator fine still (tested after getting it going).

He basically just bashed around the terminals, got it to start and suggested current draw (which is crap because he just told me the batt was 80% full lol... current draw causes you to not start cos it's flat).

Anyway, I think I can test current draw at home now that I have mutlimeter - just chuck it on amps and put it between the neg batt lead and the terminal??

Also going to have a stab at cleaning the clamps too - batt terminals are spotless.

Hopefully something works out soon.... really sick of all this lol.

I assume that bad clamps could be inhibiting the charging process, despite the volts reading ok?? Anyone feel free to answer :p