Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery costs

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
I used to use an odyssey battery and I had my system with 2 750w amps cranking full belt for about 4 hours one new years eve and it still started! I was surprised it started actually. It was at the top of Mt Coot-tha so I parked it facing down the hill so I could clutch it but didnt need to.

starkeyholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
A high CCA battery doesn't mean that it is good for running your stereo from for hours on end. High CCA means that it can put out a heap of amps all at once for short periods of time (really good for starting).

The 'standby time' Is printed on the battery next to the CCA rating
This is typically printed as for example "RC 125" the number shows how long you can draw 20 amps from the battery for in MINUTES before the battery falls flat on its ass.

(CCA shows how many amps the battery can give you for 30 seconds at minus 18 degrees Celcius)

starkeyholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
The best thing for your battery when you discharge it a lot/often is to put it on a charger once a month overnight to top it off. (you're alternator really doesn't put as much back in as you'd think or like)

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
starkeyholden said:
(CCA shows how many amps the battery can give you for 30 seconds at minus 18 degrees Celcius)

Yes, and when has your engine bay ever been that cold? hahaha lol.... i hate how they do that, give a rating at the best conditions possible. 9/10 times your engine bay is gonna be hot when you start it, its false advertising. I have been reccomeneded by several people to get a 550CCA batt. ill be running 3 amps, a computer and a few other things as well.

Tr3nt, either ust replace the one you got and get a cap(for lights if they dim) and/or get a 550/600CCA batt and youll be sweet for 3 years. IF you treat it good.

hozy... where do you get biiger alternators??? ive looked... not hard but still!

aZk.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
azkwazere said:
Yes, and when has your engine bay ever been that cold? hahaha lol.... i hate how they do that, give a rating at the best conditions possible. 9/10 times your engine bay is gonna be hot when you start it, its false advertising. I have been reccomeneded by several people to get a 550CCA batt. ill be running 3 amps, a computer and a few other things as well.

Tr3nt, either ust replace the one you got and get a cap(for lights if they dim) and/or get a 550/600CCA batt and youll be sweet for 3 years. IF you treat it good.

hozy... where do you get biiger alternators??? ive looked... not hard but still!

aZk.

It's a standardized rating. Where I am in the US I do need to know how much power I have at -18.

Mat...you still don't draw much current.