Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery light comes on upon startup.

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Im wondering if there might be a problem with my new VS exec V6 5 spd. When I turn on the car, the battery light comes on for about 1 minute, then goes away. This basically happens every time I start the car, but always goes away. Any ideas on what might be the problem, and if I should worry about it or not? Thanks :)

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
if your worried just get a battery and alternator test done. see what that says.
its pretty simple, just go to your auto parts trader (autobarn, supercheap, repco,etc..) and they should do one for you for nothing (they think they might sell a battery - so they'll be happy to do it) and it only takes 5mins.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sounds like brushes just about worn out - a cheap fix at about $50 if you do it yourself.
2nd thoughts - are you sure it is the battery light and is the light on condition identical every time the car is started?

Last edited:

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Its a picture of a battery on the dash, and it comes on for roughly 1 minute every single time I start it...

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
yeh because the brushes in the voltage regulator arent making proper contact with the shaft and not creating a strong charge for the battery.
the bosch part number is RE60 i think from memory

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Does it go out earlier if you give it a little rev? I had a datsun once, and the alternater didn't actually kick in until it was over 800 rpm. So if the car started and ran/idled slowly, under 800 rpm, the alternater didn't actually start the charging bit. (Those numbers are just rough)

Crombie87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ex-Police Commodore Wagon
I got the same problem with my VS auto i start the car and the battery light comes on for a minute, it not the battery as its brand new so i will have to check the alternator but its handy to know that it may only be the bushes.

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
make sure you disconnect the battery before you pull the regulator out of the alternator or you'll be fixing other stuff as well. ....um it happened to a friend of a friend of mine, lol.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Another vote for worn out brushes in the alternator. My VS is doing exactly the same thing, except the light is only staying on for about 5 seconds or so. As others have suggested, simply replace the regulator/brush set (its one assembly), and that should solve your problem. I probably wouldn't let it go too long... otherwise it could fail completely, and you will be stuck in the middle of traffic etc...

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Is it a hard job to do? Maybe its worth just getting an auto electrician to do it... I've never pulled apart an alternator.