Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

battery light staying on

vn2env

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 vn exe,1995 VS SS,2000 VT,2006 VY,2010 Ve
Oks. Last few days, I notice the battery light on dash keeps going on and off. I didn't think much of it till the
battery went dead flat. GREAT!! Time for a new battery got one put in and notice the neg lead was a bit
had it replaced with a new one with two new battery clamps. RIGHT ALL GOODS, Started it up and now its
still on. Had it going for 2 mins turn off looked under the hood , I had my hand on the alternator and it
really hot as as i have no idea??

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
The alternator has had it that's why the light is still on as the battery ain't getting any charge so if you keep driving it will just kill ya new battery.

New idea check all the wires from the alternator are still connected and in 1 piece.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Check the voltage at the battery with the car idling. Should be more than 13.5v

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
alternator noisy? bearing failed possibly making it hot? or an electrical prob. Shouldn't be that hot esp after only 2 minutes running.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
most of the time the battery light will either be a broken connection on the fuseable link (2 inch brown wire coming off the positive terminal with a black plug on the end)

or your alternator is playing up. check the voltage coming off it like milky said. i dont know why it would be getting hot but the voltage regulators commonly fail on them. its the little unit with the plug on it and 2 screws holding it to the alternator. the brushes get short, lose connection and produce no power, causing your car to run off the battery which eventually dies.... if the bearing has failed might be better to get a second hander and just chuck a new voltage reg in it for 50 bucks...

Westie

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
Could just be a new reg for the alternator (about 60-70$) RE60 is the part number thru repco etc.
Or could be a bad earth.

vn2env

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ive checked all leads to battery and alternator they are all good. As for the 2inch borwn wire thats fine as. Today i'm taking
alternator off and checking the regulator and see what what its like But i have not given up hope yet

vn2env

Reaction score
Members Ride
A big thanks to everyone that put up answers, It wos the alternator after all!! All pulled
apart with new bearing, and new Regulator... ( Running good as gold )

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
A good result and another satisfied customer. Good to see some follow up when problems are solved.