Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

battery light with brand new battery

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
Just get a new regulator for the alternator 95% thats the problem, they wear out like anything and need replacing once in a while

hi, greenfoam, where did you get yours, I went to autoone, quoted me 70 bucks.

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
The regulator for the alternator has carbon brushes in it that run on the alternator commutator ring, the carbon brushes wear down until the contact becomes sporadic and your charging becomes too
dodgy = battery light on dash lights up. The regulator is usually held in with just 2 screws, It is possible to replace just the carbon brushes but that's not a job I'd try myself. My regulator cost $50, maybe try ebay or look on the for sale forums here. Your old battery is probably dead from excessive discharge, if you can't get the regulator sorted ASAP then put a battery charger on each night and try not to drive at night or you'll be buying another battery.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Check the tan wire is in good condition that runs from the reg to the positive on the battery.

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
The regulator for the alternator has carbon brushes in it that run on the alternator commutator ring, the carbon brushes wear down until the contact becomes sporadic and your charging becomes too
dodgy = battery light on dash lights up. The regulator is usually held in with just 2 screws, It is possible to replace just the carbon brushes but that's not a job I'd try myself. My regulator cost $50, maybe try ebay or look on the for sale forums here. Your old battery is probably dead from excessive discharge, if you can't get the regulator sorted ASAP then put a battery charger on each night and try not to drive at night or you'll be buying another battery.

hi, got the regulator fro 71, how do you get it off, do you need to take the alternator off first? now I got a flat battery after drive the car for a week and 10 minutes at night.:beer chug:

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
I swapped my regulator in the Repco car park where I bought the new one, 2 min job.

Disconnect the battery and take the belt off the idler pulley. Undo the driver side alternator bolt and loosen the passenger side bolt a little (10mm and 13mm i think? Can never remember bolt sizes...). Disconnect the alternator and roll it upwards. Remove the regulator from the back of the alternator and install the new one. Two screws off memory. Lower the alternator back into position, reconnect it, tighten bolts, fit belt back on and reconnect battery. Problem solved.

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
I swapped my regulator in the Repco car park where I bought the new one, 2 min job.

Disconnect the battery and take the belt off the idler pulley. Undo the driver side alternator bolt and loosen the passenger side bolt a little (10mm and 13mm i think? Can never remember bolt sizes...). Disconnect the alternator and roll it upwards. Remove the regulator from the back of the alternator and install the new one. Two screws off memory. Lower the alternator back into position, reconnect it, tighten bolts, fit belt back on and reconnect battery. Problem solved.

thank you so much, put the new regulator in this morning, and the problem gone, yes you are right, they are 10, and 13. the commodore on the road again. :axe:

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
Dear all, the alternator is not charging properly, the regulator is new, the battery light disappear, however, the battery is getting weak, I have to buy a battery charger, but after driving 10 minutes at night, I can not start the car. any idea?

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
Dear all, the alternator is not charging properly, the regulator is new, the battery light disappear, however, the battery is getting weak, I have to buy a battery charger, but after driving 10 minutes at night, I can not start the car. any idea?

anyone? the car start for a few times and then it stopped in a shopping center completely.

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
any idea, might need to dump the car this week end.too much trouble.