Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

???Battery Light??

hispeedvp

VP SS Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Group A Ute
i live in perth so cant help you soz. the only pics i can get are to big to post, i would go into super cheap (not to buy) and ask to have a look at one because you want to buy one (you dont) and get an idea that way, it is easier to replace the whole module than the brushess, but remember it might be something else but my money is on the brushes or the module.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Battery light

Hmmm, I would go with a loose connection on terminal to battery or cable to terminal. Particularly if the battery light turns on with a few bumps. It can be tricky to test, but a good method would be to wiggle the wires around starting from the terminal. I think you have been a bit too quick to dismiss the battery connections, you dont want to be one of those people who throw money at the car without properly diagnosing the problem. The old wiggle test wont cost a thing and my bet is you will find your problem.

hispeedvp

VP SS Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Group A Ute
i agree howerver i asumed you were smarter than the comon house hold brick and had already done the wiggle test before resorting to the forum. please tell me this is true.

M

mr_vs

Ok I too have this problem I had the alternator fully rebuilt now it is the light only coming on and off I do not lose any power even with radio going lights on etc.... it is more annoying than anything to me it sometimes brings back those bad memories of when it did fail but has anyone ever have this problem as well please post how you fixed it

hsvd_g

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VR Exec Commodore
sometimes the word rebuilt means- pulling apart and components checked over and then put back together.. I could be best getting the alternator re-conditioned and see if it helps

hispeedvp

VP SS Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Group A Ute
i would replace the module, the way an alternator works is having to round copper pully things inside being spun, and having brushes that are like led rectangles push against them cuasing friction and static and power. the only reconditional components are a set of bearings front and back, the module or brushess and a clean, they may replace the copper pulleys inside (i forget the technical term but can get is if you want) you should see this in a pic i posted eraslier in this thread., therefore a recon alternator is only worth the $$ if the bearings are gone, wich you will know if there making noise, if not just rteplace your module or brushess and you have a recon alternator.

Last edited:

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
If you have a trip computer, hold the "set" button while you turn on the engine & start the car. The press the "mode" button & you should see a readout for engine volts. This will let you know how well the charging system is working. check the connector on the top of the altenator for corrosion & also the connector & inline fuse on the positive terminal on the battery. Ya never know yer luck ...