Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] Battery or Alternator?

leolass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina '95
Hi I have a VS berlina V6
4 days ago it started making a funny growling noise and was told it could be the alternator on its way out. the battery obviously would not hold charge so I placed it on the charger over night and viola the next day it started and I did a far bit of running around with no problems. yesterday the battery went flat again so I charged it over night, this morning I tried to start it and nothing not even a light on the dash or a click when the ignition was turned. :help:
any suggestions would be appreciated thank you in advance.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
check the voltage across the battery terminals with a multimeter when the car is running. If the alternator is working you should see 14 volts or so
If it's not charging you will see about 12.4 or less volts.
Also check the glovebox and the boot lights as they might not be turning off. Best way to check is to see if the plastic lenses are warm when you open the glove box / boot which would indicate that the light has been on for a fair while. Seen this happen before when the trigger switch is rooted.

SS Hatchback

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais, VT Calais, Torana
I agree on the above with the battery check , test for the voltage and should be above 12v, if you can get your car started then check across your battery terminals while connected to the car and it should be around the 14v (with the car running), if its not the it could be your alternator reg that has died. Seems to me if you have charged your battery overnight and nothing works im guessing your battery has died but do the above tests to check your system out before spending cash

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Normal car batteries don't like to be charged and discharged too many times. It will cause them to not hold a useable voltage.
Unlike a deep cycle battery, the plates inside the battery tend to buckle under the constant charge/discharge cycle.
The battery is made up of six, 2 volt cells. 6x2.....12volts. If even one cell is slightly damaged, it will effect the whole battery.

An easy way, is to get a new one and "charge" it to your credit card. Sorry.....couldn't resist.

leolass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina '95
Hardy Har Har Nut Kracker :)

I will get a loan of a multi meter and see how I go checking the voltage.

I cant believe the battery died so quick - unless - the charger has died too :unsure:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
unless - the charger has died too :unsure:

That's a point. When you get the multi meter, disconnect the battery, put it on charge and connect the multi meter to it and see how much voltage the charger is putting out.
Did you disconnect the battery when you charged it?
The battery should always be disconnected when you charge it, as the current can bleed through the car's systems (the security system for example) and the battery wont get a proper charge.