Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

battery

me_011

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
just wondering why the battery light comes on at night every few days. It doesnt do it during the day.
Is there any way to fix it or do i need a new battery.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
At night you have the headlights on so there is a greater drain on the battery...though in your case it may also be the alternator brushes worn causing intermittent contact with the commutator. It should never be red unless you have a problem.
Its also difficult to see the red warning light in bright daylight meaning it may also be coming on during daytime.
If your car starts to be slow at starting and you are sure the battery is OK then I'd get the alternator checked out.

me_011

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
The cable from the battery to the alternator was fixed at the start of the year as it was previously fried to it, so i will check that tomorrow and i have a look for the light during daytime today and i could see iteven in the shadows so it might be the headlights.

hsvpgts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Berlina
I have seen many vn's - vx's with the same concern. They are fitted with an external voltage regulator. Generally the brushes wear down and then cause the light to come on int and when completly stuffed light will be on all the time. If you are mechanically minded disconnect the battery and remove the alternator. remove the voltage reg and check if terminals worn down (new one's approx 10 - 12mm long) then replace the reg itself. also make sure positive wire to alternator not burnt out again.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
had similar prob when i had vp, my alt brushes were worn, at first the light would come on at night then , it started coming on during day too, eneded up one night after work, crawling home with dimmed lights and no dash cos car was running straight off the battery and it stopped as i got in driveway. Jumped it next morning and got nrma guy over, he bashed the alt with a rubber mallot and i heard the alt working again and the light went off, so i went and bought the brushes for $5 from Peps and replaced it myself, and never got the prob again...the brushes were worn badly tho, so just keep an eye out for the signs like i had, u will noticed a drop in power for the car too.

tomic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V8
A multi-meter is your friend.
you should be seeing 14.4 constant when running, even with lights.

me_011

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
the car has now stopped totally so im now looking at replacing the alternator as i have no idea how to replace the brushes.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It only entails removing 2 screws at the back of the alternator accessible by removing the plastic cover to replace the bit that is "probably" buggered. Take all of 10 minutes of your time.
If the brushes are buggered it will cost you no more than $45 for a new regulator and brushes. A new or reco alternator will cost about $200 plus fitting.
There is a "how to" on doing this job I think. Good Luck

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
The voltage regulator is likely stuffed, around $80 for a newbie.