Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Beesting aerial for Maloo

lockmac

Reaction score
Has anyone ever bought one of those shorter "Bee-sting" aerials for their Maloo that sits on the roof?
I've see them on eBay and just curious as to how good they are, as the stock one is quite long and hits my garage door when driving in (lucky its quite springy and causes no damage).

Does the radio go through that aerial or is it for the phone? I was told that the front windshield is for the phone?
Thanks!

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
I have a bee-sting aerial, and it works just as good as the stock aerial which is piece of junk or is it the whole head unit which is a piece of junk ?

I live on the gold coast and i can not get any Brisbane channels when I am on the coast same when I am in Brisbane no Gold Coast channels.

Yet my VZ work car picks up every channel from everywhere in Brisbane with no problems at all

I pretty much put it down to the IQ system being a peace of ****.

radio goes through aerial on roof

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
ive got one on my ute.phone,reception etc.. is fine.just make sure you get one that works properly as theres a lot of **** on ebay,carbon fibre ones and full steel ones such as mine work well. this one- Silver BEE STING antenna aerial for Holden VE commodore,Calais,Omega,HSV | eBay is the original design and in my opinion the best as its made and tested in germany at least they were anyway,ive had this one for years with no dramas.put some loctite on the thread if you get one as it will make it hard to get pinched!!

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Unless you have a phone kit, you have no phone antenna at all. Very different frequencies, one antenna can't do both.

I'm looking at them as well, but with so many different ones, I don't want to get the crap one. I've heard they reduce the signal a bit but are ok in metro areas.

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
I think its pretty hit and miss with these antennas, i have tried a ebay bee-sting first and it was terrible put straight in the bin, the one im using now i got from Bursons auto centres and it was called a "Smart antenna" it works as well as my stock antenna, which doesn't really work that well.lol

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Hi.
I used my old corrolla arial, it is thinner than the stock VE it is a fibreglass shaft with a copper wire up the inside, I shortened it to be a bit shorter than the stock VE arial, it fits the threaded base perfectly.
I think those beesting arials look ****. Also my moded coroola arial has better reception than the stock VE arials. Go figure:}

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
my walkinshaw one looks great, but as for reception it's pretty crappy compared to standard. Lucky for me i don't listen to radio

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
If you're worried about the ebay ones being crap, a facory Mazdza CX9, CX7 or Suzuki Swift aerial will fit straight on and do a great job. They're heaps shorter than the silly VE ones, though not quite as short as the ebay ones.

Best $24 I ever spent...

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
A few people have said the stock antenna is crap - do you have reception issues? My car has had since day 1, it always sounds to be a fration off frequency so sound it not crystal clear and I get frequent static interference. Does anybody else get this?

FWIW I have claimed it under warranty, they have replaced the radio module, the amplified base and the antenna but the problem persists, it is still an open warranty case with Holden. Lucky there are 5 other ways of listening to music or I'd be pretty pissed.

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
A few people have said the stock antenna is crap - do you have reception issues? My car has had since day 1, it always sounds to be a fration off frequency so sound it not crystal clear and I get frequent static interference. Does anybody else get this?

I get exact same thing Loaded Dice, i was going to have it looked at at my 15000k service which will be on time rather than ks in April, was hoping to get it resolved then, but from what i have read, its a common problem as you have had modules changed to no avail, its the only thing that shits me with my VE

going to try one of the Mazda ones and see how that goes