Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Belt and pulleys for Gen III

Anglosaxon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2
Hey guys, my gen III's belt/pulleys makes an awful chirping sound particularly when its cold but to a lesser degree even when hot, does anyone know the best place to get a good price on a complete sepentine belt/idler pulley/tensioner pulley kit? or do they only come separate? I'm assuming I replace the entire pulley(s) rather than press the bearings out?

Cheers n beers.

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
you could also try taking the pulleys off and packing with grease again.
I took mine off and used a small screw driver to pry to bearing covers off. There was absolutely no grease in them , just a black shitty residue which was one the factory grease im guessing.

It probably worth looking at this first. I changed all my belts as i though this was the problem, turned out to be the bearings chirping.
Most annoying sound in the world!

Anglosaxon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2
Yeah its a really sht sound huh! it actually sounds like something is about to let go when its cold sometimes, ive had the pulleys and belt off a couple of times and I tried working some oil into the bearings and this does quieten it all down for a few days but it comes back, the belt doesnt squeal but its very cracked with the odd chunk along the edge of the grooved side and i can actually feel the tiniest bit of play in the tensioner pulley bearing so i kind of figure the best option is just to replace the lot, prying the covers off the sides of the sealed bearings to repack them with grease will only lead to them wearing at an even faster rate once they are open to dust anyhow, indecently are you still running those same bearings? how long have they been going with the seals off?

Cheers

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
Yeah its a really sht sound huh! it actually sounds like something is about to let go when its cold sometimes, ive had the pulleys and belt off a couple of times and I tried working some oil into the bearings and this does quieten it all down for a few days but it comes back, the belt doesnt squeal but its very cracked with the odd chunk along the edge of the grooved side and i can actually feel the tiniest bit of play in the tensioner pulley bearing so i kind of figure the best option is just to replace the lot, prying the covers off the sides of the sealed bearings to repack them with grease will only lead to them wearing at an even faster rate once they are open to dust anyhow, indecently are you still running those same bearings? how long have they been going with the seals off?

Cheers

I did not leave the seals off. I repacked with grease, then put the seals back on.
YOu just need to be careful taking the seals off so you dont ruin them.

I have been running the bearings for about 10,000kms since repacking and are still quiet cold or hot.

Anglosaxon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2
Sorted, just went and got the lot for $102 at repco