Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

belt noise

oldmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
G'day everyone. I have a vs series 1, and the fan belt is making a terrible noise. I've noticed that the belt doesn't sit fully on the tensioner pulley, and if i loosen it and put it back on, it will work its way back off after running the engine. Does anyone know if the pulley would be buggered or the whole assembly, and if that would be the most likely cause of the squeaky noise?

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
there is a replaceable bearing in the tensioner pulley that wears out and can be replaced. do a search in this forum i posted the part number a while ago.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
spray some WD-40 on the belt, that might reduce the noise until you replace the part.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If the actual tensioner bit wears (the part the pulley bolts on to). the pulley will not be running inline with the other pulleys and the belt will track to one side. Only fix is replacement of the tensioner assembly I think.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
If it squeaks run some candle wax into the grooves of the belt. Be carful not to get fingers mangled.......

oldmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
If the actual tensioner bit wears (the part the pulley bolts on to). the pulley will not be running inline with the other pulleys and the belt will track to one side. Only fix is replacement of the tensioner assembly I think.

Is the whole assembly include that rod, and the alternator needs to be taken off to get to it all, or is it just the pulley wheel you are talking about?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The tensioner bit which has the spring inside it, I think its called the belt tensioner and you need to remove the alt to remove it - think its over $120 for a new one. You should be able to eyeball the pulley to see if its inline and also wobble the pulley about (with belt off) to see if there is excessive play. You may also have a stretched belt (which is pretty rare)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
sounds like your tensioner pulley is stuffed. you can replace just the pulley. just remember that the bolt holding it on has a left hand thread. the standard holden one is plastic and the bearing is moulded into the pulley. most aftermarket pulleys are steel and the bearing is replacable if the bearing fails in the future. there is also a belt length indicator on the tensioner bracket to monitor the belt but oyu would need to know where it was when new to know it it was stretching. normally if it's geting old and it's starting to scream it's time for replacement