Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bens l67 VY Wagon

benny_bones

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY Series 2 Wagon
Got the new l67 engine registered with vicroads took 10 mins only needed a reciept from where I bought it, vicroads look at the engine number and then get a new rego sticker printed off! :) so all done and police won't worry me now.

Also getting the srs airbag light cleared tomorrow night and get the Kms changed and 18" wheel calibration for the speedo

Ordering a hid kit tomorrow aswell hopefully thinking 35w 4300k slim ballast from eBay for around $55

borrttt

Gday
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina L67 2004
I wouldnt buy any cheap HID kits. I have all lights (low, high and fogs) all converted to HID. Originally bought 3 kits all 35w 5000K for low and high and 8000K for fogs and the globes supplied were Phillips which are great and cant fault them but the slimline ballasts had no brand printed on them. 5 out of 6 ballasts at some stage died between the 6 months-1.5 years.
Since then ive bought Digital CANBUS slim ballasts and they're terrific. Each ballast is $50 so i paid $300 for the 6. Also its the slimline ones which have the failure problems. So if going to use slim ones buy the top end digital CANBUS ones.

benny_bones

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY Series 2 Wagon
No worries well the ones I'm looking at come with a 2 year warranty for any failure so I feel confident with that, the Philips ones are around $140 which is abit out of my range because I'm not earning much whilst at uni, I've seen the canbus ones so I'll keep hunting for a decent set

borrttt

Gday
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina L67 2004
Yeah they're the right ballasts. You'll have no problems with those. One thing though...because theyre metal cased ballasts they will earth out of the car body if they touch metal directly. Its to do with the circuitry of these cars. Some cars are wired different so they need the ballasts to earthed out on the body directly for the lights to switch on. On commodores if they earth out youll blow a fuse and itll spark on contact lol. So wrap the entire ballast with electrical tape with no exposed metal showing and then mount with double sided heavy duty tape. I had to do that with mine as i have the same ones. Also if they come with a small wire with a ring connector on the end to screw into the car chuck it out they dont need those lol

benny_bones

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY Series 2 Wagon
Great think ill order those ones then, thanks for the advice where to mount them will be fun! But hopefully 4300k is the right look I've heard over time they can go up to 5-6000k as they age which could be nice

borrttt

Gday
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina L67 2004
Ive not heard that, and having had mine for best part of 3 years, they havnt changed. Just buy 5 or 6000K if you want that look. 5000 being pure white and 6000 white with a blue hue. 4300 is like sunlight, white with a warm yellowish hue. They wont change over time, as the gas in the bulb is pure and will only emit one colour when a charge is run through it. Each colour temp is a slightly different gas. Over a long time (maybe 4-5 years) they wont emit as many lumens, so light emitted decreases but its isnt noticeable to the eye and even then theyll still be brighter than halogen.

benny_bones

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY Series 2 Wagon
Yeah that's just what I've read from around the forums don't know if it's true I've got for 4300k that's what the bmws etc come stock with so they have the best light availability I had crystal visions etc and they were too blue for my liking don't mind a warm white light suppose I can buy the 6000k bulbs if I'm not happy

benny_bones

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY Series 2 Wagon
3esy2u6e.jpg

benny_bones

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY Series 2 Wagon
Fixed the srs airbag fault code!!
finally thanks to andrew aka lout!
Recommend his services if your in the south eastern suburbs for any tech 2 stuff, so good to get rid of that bloody chime and to know the airbags will deploy correctly :)