Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Berlina-not a commodore?

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
380 said:
Technically speaking, All Berlinas from VX onwards were their own car. They were Holdern Berlinas. All Berlinas from VT II and older were Holden Commodore Berlinas, so they were Commodores.

We have a winner...

Confirmed on redbook....

ok so i was slightly off before in saying the vl was the last commodore berlina :p

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
matrix said:
hey there all,
just thought id tell you all about a stupid conversation i had with a customer yesterday. old guy and his wife come into the store and buy a tyre guage, then the wife asks me after staring at the car manuals for a while " dont you sell manuals for berlina's?" to which i replied oh yes commodore manuals, which modle do you have?" she starts laughing at me and says "its not a commodore its a berlina" then she call her husband over and tells him, so he starts going on about how he didnt pay $54000 for a commodore. and that they were totaly different cars. i tried to explain the how the base modle commodore was an excecutive and so on, so then he called me stupid and said i obviously dont know anything about holdens.
then i just said "im sorry sir i dont think we sell any Berlia parts at all, you will have to see holden for genuin parts. i can sell you some executive parts or some calais parts or some acclaim parts or some esteem parts or some Sv6 parts or some SS parts and i even have a small rang of HSV parts but i definatly dont have any Berlina parts. matter of fact that tyre guage you have there wont work on a Berlina either as it was designed for commodores."
anyway this has been pissing me off for a few hours and thought id get it off my chest. who make these idiots and why do they have nicer cars than me?

I think the funniest part is that he paid $54,000 for it! :rofl:

Reaper

M

Mr Invisible 55

Commodore

Well if Berlina isnt a commodore then why does it have in the owners manual in some places these feautres might be on other commodre models such as berlina calias E.T.C and the front cover of the friggin owners manual says Commodore so there you go its a commodore and all people are really paying for is the badge!!!! And Also i got an Official Holden Poster from the holden stand at the motor show last year and it has commodores through the years and it has Berlinas and Calais on it and ss and acclaim so if berlina and Calais arent commodores why are they on this poster?

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr Invisible 55

Juzza said:
I guess technicly it would still be a Commodore, build plate would say as much.. a really pimping Commodore! This argument goes a lot further back then Calais versus Executive though, another hypothetical question:

Someone has a VL SL (as base model as they come), they get the full genuine HSV interior and bodykit, including energy polariser (!!).. they drop a HSV VZ LS2 motor in there, lots of customisation and fabrication then give the car a magnificent paint job.. the whole thing is put together a lot better then the HSV the parts came from.. now does this person have the right to claim there car is the one the HSV parts came from (we'll say a Walkinshaw) or do they have to call their car a VL SL because that's what Holden made it from the factory? But the car has ALL of the original HSV parts (don't ask me how it's hypothetical), and an engine much better than the one of the Walkinshaw

I don't think there can be a simple black and white answer to the question :( and I don't think the original Walkinshaw owners would call our hypothetical Walkinshaw a HSV, I guess exclusivelity?! :S
Well if he wanted to be smart a Commodore SL Wannabee HSV or Custom Commodore SL lol

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Mr Invisible 55 said:
Well if Berlina isnt a commodore then why does it have in the owners manual in some places these feautres might be on other commodre models such as berlina calias E.T.C and the front cover of the friggin owners manual says Commodore so there you go its a commodore and all people are really paying for is the badge!!!! And Also i got an Official Holden Poster from the holden stand at the motor show last year and it has commodores through the years and it has Berlinas and Calais on it and ss and acclaim so if berlina and Calais arent commodores why are they on this poster?

You mean they pay for the badge, not the climate control, leather, choice of any engine, any other luxo option you can think of :) The calais badge isn't so good that people pay more for it, they pay for what it entails, lots of luxo options as standard (most that aren't available on execs etc).

The manual for my vs at least says it is a manual for commodore and calais... it specifies they are different things. Yes it is the same manual for both, since they have basically the same guts, but technically speaking a calais is not a commodore, albeit based on one.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Surely they are all the same basic car i.e. built on the same chassis but just with different trim levels. As someone else said, if you really want to waste you money making an executive into a calais then it's perfectly possible. All the bits fit.

IMO the people with the Berlina in the first post just want to believe their car is something far removed from the 'common' commodore.

When I worked for a Vauxhall dealership we used to get a lot of people come in and ask for parts for their Vauxhall 'Elite'. Every time we would go out to look at the car and break the news to them that it was a Vauxhall Omega and the trim level was Elite.

BTW, mine isn't a Commodore. It's got a remote boot release and velour seats so is built on a totally different chassis to any without that:rofl:

vee ka

Reaction score
Members Ride
'85 HDT VK SS, '03 Liberty GT, '06 Forester XT
the original argument was that the old guy and his wife wanted a BERLINA workshop manual and in the case most commodore workshop manuals cover all specs such as exec, berlina, sl etc because the driveline is no different between em. theyll have seperate sctions for the additional options like elec windows etc and V8 and 6cyl but the rest referes to all so the old guy and his wife are the ones who obviously no nothing about holdens!!! yes the different models are not all called commodores and the website will seperate em so customers can see the different equipment levels etc to make it easier for em to decide on what to buy. my 2c :thumbsup:

GLD-086

Reaction score
I have a VL BT1WalkinshawSSGroupAExecutiveBerlinaCalaisSL Commodore.:p

Nah I have a Commodore SL.

Hell even though VL Calais' are a Calais, my old man still refers to his as a Commodore.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
We could argue about this forever.

We all know that they're basically all Commodores with different bits on them, and for naming purposes, a Berlina and Calais are not.

I have to admit though, I don't really like my car being referred to as "a Commodore" because it's not JUST a Commodore, it's a Commodore SS. When referring to it, I always drop the Commodore bit altogether and just say "the SS".

...I even got rid of the (one and only) Commodore badge on the bootlid. :yeah:

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
the god joke is if they knew even one little bit of information he would of caught you and said tyre guages are the same accross cars bike wheel barrows etc etc