Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best 5.0L tuner in QLD

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
WTF is a foam tune?

Ohh you mean the memcals Jason does? Had them for years. Im just wondering if there is any better? Such a thing as realtime tuning for Holden V8's?

Yeah there is. Have you ever done a compression test on your car? What compression did it run from the factory? I think you will find the best results by buying the stuff and doing it your self. Do a ****load of reading first - it is very interesting stuff.

Reaper

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Yeah there is. Have you ever done a compression test on your car? What compression did it run from the factory? I think you will find the best results by buying the stuff and doing it your self. Do a ****load of reading first - it is very interesting stuff.

Reaper
I havnt done a compression test, compression ratio of 9.0:1.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I havnt done a compression test, compression ratio of 9.0:1.

It's not all that much higher than the stock ss then. On an old motor I'd expect it to be a little less than that.

In all honesty I don't think you will get much better than the GF tune then. I should have a wb 02 sensor and temp sensor shortly and will play a bit more with the fuel maps and spark to try to squeeze a little more out and am happy to share whatever I find to anybody interested.

Reaper

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
getting a realtime tune done on a stock engine is never going to be worth the $$$ for possible gains. your best bet is to go to a dyno day and get a power run done and have em put the AFR on the graph. from that you will be able to figure out if the tune you have is anywhere decent and since it's a foam tune it shouldn't be to shabby at all. there is possibly more in it but considering foamy is tuning it without driving it he wants to make sure it doesn't ping etc so he's probably allowing a few degrees of timing for safety reasons.

whynot download tunerpro, get a few tunes and def files from foamy and have a play to see what he's doing. then you once understand all the different tables (some of the main ones being F1 SAMAIN spark advance, F29H VE and F60 open loop A/F) get a burner and start doing some of your own alterations and see what it does

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Mack, you wont gain more than a couple rwkw over the tune in it no matter how many prayers you pray :). But any couple that ARE left in it are best found yourself with a gtech like Reapers and a burner. If Reaper were to take his car as it is now and put it in an artifical enviroment like a dyno and get a tune done chances are (a very good chance) it would be slower than his road tuning with the gtech. For the record Chiptorques mail order tune is (or was in the past) a HSV 180, I've written over them before. Not many shops are willing to push a 5 litre to it's potential because any twit could be running 18 degrees base timing or fuel from the tractor thats been in the paddock for 50 years etc :). Hook that cold air intake of yours up and you'll gain at least 2 tenths so I'd worry about that first honestly, that's your biggest easiest gain you have left. And there's things in the tune that can be changed then for the missing couple of rwkw :).

But like everyone else has said a new gtech and tune yourself will be a cheaper and better option than a dyno tune for you

VYSSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Group A Brock
Mack, you wont gain more than a couple rwkw over the tune in it no matter how many prayers you pray :). But any couple that ARE left in it are best found yourself with a gtech like Reapers and a burner. If Reaper were to take his car as it is now and put it in an artifical enviroment like a dyno and get a tune done chances are (a very good chance) it would be slower than his road tuning with the gtech. For the record Chiptorques mail order tune is (or was in the past) a HSV 180, I've written over them before. Not many shops are willing to push a 5 litre to it's potential because any twit could be running 18 degrees base timing or fuel from the tractor thats been in the paddock for 50 years etc :). Hook that cold air intake of yours up and you'll gain at least 2 tenths so I'd worry about that first honestly, that's your biggest easiest gain you have left. And there's things in the tune that can be changed then for the missing couple of rwkw :).

But like everyone else has said a new gtech and tune yourself will be a cheaper and better option than a dyno tune for you
Hey Foamy, we all know your tunes are quite good

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
I Think you'll find the chip-torque has way more buisness then they can keep up with and that reflects in there prices. I had them dyno tune my car after exhaust was done and was very happy with the results. It didn't make alot of difference up top (10-15rwkw? i can't remeber) but all the rest was much better, a much nicer car to drive.

they also did the tune for the supercharger a rough one to start with (just to get the car running for me), followed by a final tune to get some more out of it. I also got them to stuff around with shift patterns etc to suit me after that plus thermo fans and they were quite reasonable to deal with.

in all honesty i wouldn't be buying an of the shelf chip from them, and i wasn't happy paying that much for the original tune, but was happy with there work.

as to how they compare to a green foam tune i have know idea, probably for common mods not alot in it. but for one of stuff i'ld imagine it would be pretty hard to tune with out the car there.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
For a boosted car tuning by remote.... you really need to owner to know a bit about it and have a good feel for the car, then you can do it, otherwise no it's pretty much never going to be perfect, it all depends on the owner giving you good feedback. But for a NA car with a cam it's no problem to get pretty right unseen and veryyyy easy if you have the car in front of you but for me that only happens with guys I know/local cars.

Cars with a stock engine and bolt on mods, well they really don't need to go near a dyno ever. It's well known what advance the 5 litre likes, it's been the same since forever and almost any tuner will end up with the same advance in the end if hes going for max power dyno or gtech it ends up no different.

I'n my case there's a good dyno and a very good 5 litre/LS1/L67 tuner a couple minutes up the road whos heavily into circuit racing where every kw counts. So I could have it tuned on the dyno if I wanted and he's given me some secret encoded advice before that has helped me (after I unraveled his riddles), but until the day my car runs slower than one of the cars from the dyno I'll stay with the theory that you don't need to go. I highly reccomend anyone with a car that needs a tune to get a new gtech that can messure power curves and tune themself because it's still the best way to do it