Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best cleaning products for soft tonneau cover?

Aussie7t8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Sedan
Team, I need advice for cleaning the soft tonneau cover for my new VF SV6 Ute. I have seen '303 Fabric Cleaner and Fabric Guard' in a kit by 'Car Care Products' and while it looks good, I want to know: 1. Does anyone use these on their soft tonneau? 2. Is there a better product available? I'm hoping the Fabric Guard will protect the cover and not damage it at all. Please help!

rhino6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF
What is on it? I have only been using car wash on mine and it looks brand new.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I've had a lot of proper sports cars over the years with "rag" tops, and I've only ever washed them in fresh water as when the car is washed.

If the car was/is really dirty, a good hose off to remove as much as you can, then a bucket of car wash suds using a big sponge then another hose off. Finally a chamois off, and everything looks spic and span.

BOMB-A-DORE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 commodore & VE SV6 Ute.
Team, I need advice for cleaning the soft tonneau cover for my new VF SV6 Ute. I have seen '303 Fabric Cleaner and Fabric Guard' in a kit by 'Car Care Products' and while it looks good, I want to know: 1. Does anyone use these on their soft tonneau? 2. Is there a better product available? I'm hoping the Fabric Guard will protect the cover and not damage it at all. Please help!

I use wax and polish a good quality car wash...the same as I wash the ute with...my tonneau cover is 6 years old on my 2008 VE SV6 Ute...and then I go over the cover with a fine hair shoe polish brush..( minus the Nugget Shoe Polish of course )...and the fine hairs get into the fine grooves etc. on the cover.....it comes up as good as the day it left the show room floor...then dry off with a chamois.....bear in mind both my cars are garaged all the time and I live in the country...might be different with all the fumes in the big smoke and the salt air.!!!!!!!!

RustyNail

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 UTE
The 303 protectant is very good for keeping vinyl clean i had a white viny hard lid on my last ute it keep it looking new and the white is hard to keep that way. I assume you meant the 303 protectant for vinyl rubber and leather not the fabric one ?

Aussie7t8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Sedan
Thanks for the advice - :spot on: Yes RustyNail - it is the '303 Aerospace Protectant' for vinyl, rubber, plastic, leather... I'm going to try the '303 Fabric/Vinyl Covertable Top Cleaner' (can be used for tonneaus) and then put the 303 Protectant to finish. I'll let you know how it goes.

Aussie7t8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Sedan
Just finished applying the protectant and it's good to go! Few sprays on and 'wipe till dry' are the instructions. Looks slightly glossier now it has been applied and non-greasy. I'm sold!