Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

best engine coolant for my VN? red or green

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
What concentration is that premix stuff? I thought most engines use a 33% mix, where the VN needs a 50:50 mix. I think I usually only used Techtaloy or Nulon at 50:50 (without pellets) and got a good 400,000km + with no dramas at all (other than a cracked hose or worn out radiator cap - which is normal wear nothing would stop). Wouldn't touch anything that isn't at those concentrations. Note: I can't remember exactly which one I used to use, but for a few extra dollars I'd go for whichever looked better for the engine (without any real knowledge). $10 or so is nothing considering how often you're changing fluid and the cost of repairs if it does do damage. (Ever replaced welch plugs?? Rather not do that if it can be avoided)

And no, not all V6s need green stuff, not even all commys. My VE needs red stuff.
general rule is to use whatever coolant was in it to start with, mixing different ones is bad and you'd have to flush and clean the system very thoroughly before changing types.......way to time consuming for little to no gain.