Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best exhaust under $1.5k

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Thoughts on...

VCM OTR
Ace. Except when you want to do the right thing and keep the air filter clean, have to basically disassemble and uninstall to remove element to clean. Orssom OTR is same performance different execution but piss easy to maintain.
Pacemaker headers
Those are basic 4-1 straight pipes into merge cone that by its nature has one rpm peak and that's out of reach 99% of the engine's operating range. Same with all 4-1, ok if you want to make noise and spruik about the hp screaming tits off at peak rpm, like most people do BTW. Other than that a stupid waste of money, but nowhere as ridiculous as buying Difilipo oversized POS which deliver worse performance 95% of time (like strapping fire hose to garden tap).
Also if you are going to the extent of proper aftermarket headers you need a custom tuned secondary / collector. Otherwise all these designs are next to useless. The ones you need are PH5387 with diffuser extension before the HFC.
High flow cat????
Yes, they are all made in China from spin steel with coated steel substrate, can pay too much for shiny ones with nice logo just get 200 CPI 4" barrel 2.5" in/out. Price ~$150-$350 each.
HSV VF Centre section
Excellent and simple, extreme value. The only negative is that the x-pipe is more a balancer hence acts like H-pipe, is in the correct location in that regard. However you will get better usable torque with a proper x-pipe device in the correct location (likely tuned further back just behind tunnel brace).
Standard VF muffler
Of course the rear muffler makes a massive impact to sound character and the latest stocko ones are good I think FWIW.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
So the pacemaker PH5387 are the go??I see you can get ones with the cats on there as well.
I'd rather useable power than just the ability to show people a dyno sheet with high rwkw :)

Also a collector?

Also I see the centre section doesn't have O2 sensor bung holes. Will I need to somehow get an o2 sensor on there?

Last edited:

Walfers62

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS-V Redline Manual
Thinking of the exact same setup Red Lion, just waiting on Monstar's final review of it and my tax return!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
O2 sensor fitting bungs are there of course, at a good location, this is a precisely engineered piece of kit. Harness is included with the one linked on eBay, has the HFCs too, the main thing is that's all the bits except still no collector section (secondary pipe).

How to make a megaphone diffuser (collector)
Dimension of the megaphone collector is 2"diffuser expanding to 3.5" for a length of 18.7" from merge point to nozzle at exit wall (past end of HFC substate).
View media item 127Fortunately PH5387 has a mini diffuser already built-in from merge to flange:
View media item 228So 2.25" at merge to 3" at flange exit:
View media item 229Over 12" there is a small expansion to join HFC entry at 3.5":
View media item 227Then 4" HFC barrel and 2.5" exit nozzle:
View media item 214Header flange exit to nozzle at rear of HFC is 16.5":
View media item 225Total PWTB (tuned resonator) volume is 187ci (3.07 litres) per bank:
View media item 122View media item 123Cakewalk for an exhaust bloke worth his salt! If there are three or four members interested I can get a good price to fab up and supply all the headers, collectors with HFCs, ready to install :)

Last edited:

gavmen

Reaction score
Members Ride
16 VFII SSVR
Literally been lurking in these forums since I bought my VFSS and been looking at this thread with interest. I wanted to get a bit more shove out of the car given the choke chain the standard SS exhaust is. Saw all the bits and pieces and just got confused. If there is a group buy on this exhaust all jimmied up I would be very interested! I travel to and from Kingaroy fortnightly so this is perfect if I needed to pick it up!

Cheers

Gav

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Saw all the bits and pieces and just got confused. If there is a group buy on this exhaust all jimmied up I would be very interested! I travel to and from Kingaroy fortnightly so this is perfect if I needed to pick it up!
Yeah might be the go, have contacted Pacemaker to kick off a deal will post back.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Nothing new there, it's a pressure wave termination chamber. Whatever you have after the expansion chamber is pretty much irrelevant. The measurement from the end of the secondaries to the start of the expansion chamber is the critical one. Also, the chamber has to be twice as big as the displacement of the cylinders running into it. EG for a 6.0L V8 with twin pipes and two chambers, each chamber has to have a volume of 6.0L. And by the way, you don't want reversion from the chamber, you are only creating back pressure. To prevent reversion you will need a short stub of exhaust protruding in from both ends of the chamber. Expansion chambers work on 2 strokes because they need back pressure to stop the intake charge from escaping the crank case. It has a negative effect on a 4 stroke.

Walfers62

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS-V Redline Manual
Oh, the only other thing is that the price listed is with 100 cel cats, with 200 and 300 cel optional.

But regarding the other posts, all that stuff about collectors and megaphones confuses me! But I'd be keen to buy the extractor/megaphone/cat setup as well, would just need it posted!