Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best mods on a low budget

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Say I had 1k to spend right now, obviously that isn't gonna get me a nice exhaust, it could get me an otr and tune, but not much point if I want to add an exhaust later, but is there something I could get first for maybe a bit nicer note to the car and add to it later, or best to wait to get the whole exhaust all at once?

If I were you I would wait and buy something decent, like Difilippo or Manta.

QAR

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS-V Wagon
Say I had 1k to spend right now, obviously that isn't gonna get me a nice exhaust, it could get me an otr and tune, but not much point if I want to add an exhaust later, but is there something I could get first for maybe a bit nicer note to the car and add to it later, or best to wait to get the whole exhaust all at once?

Obviously you need to be careful with your coin. Do the OTR and tune definitely. Hit budget, get the biggest BFYB available.
Decent headers and cats will cost same again down the track when you can afford it, but same tuner will tweak the new custom OS for a few hundgy if you do the deal to begin with.
Alternatively swap out full exhaust for HSV bi-modal system, BI Modal Exhaust HSV 2010 E3 in VIC | eBay $600 sound dandy 'til you save for OTR and tune. Perhaps you will consider the HFC and mandrel swap later when funds permit.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
best mods on a small budget = don't waste your money

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Look for a tidy set of HSV extractors and cats mate. Much better design than the standard log type manifold. Similar to the stubby Tri-y paceys. I got some for $150. I also have the rapid exhaust J pipes. Not a whole lot of performance gains without a tune and hi flow cats, but it sounds pretty good.

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
I fitted a Manta system and get a lot of comments how good it sounds. Wasn't much over a grand. About $1300 fitted, was a mild steel system didn't bother with stainless.To me this was the best start point. Can go headers etc later and already have the exhaust sorted

Manta is the go for sound.

Chrisj911

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 vf ssv commodore
best mods on a small budget = don't waste your money

I don't want a full system on a small budget, I was asking if there was something you should start with in particular and add to it later. I might end up spending 10k on mods, but only gradually, so was looking for a starting point.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Best way to plan from a starting point is to have your end goal in mind. That way you can map out upgrades in advance and hopefully not have to buy anything twice (i.e. CAI for NA then another for a supercharger, multiple retunes, etc.).
In the absence of having all the cash to do the mods you want at once you can still buy wisely and save thousands. There are some standalone things you can start with like wheels, tyres, brakes that won't need revisiting if you decide to power up later.
So... what exactly do you want out of your car in the end?

Chrisj911

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 vf ssv commodore
Best way to plan from a starting point is to have your end goal in mind. That way you can map out upgrades in advance and hopefully not have to buy anything twice (i.e. CAI for NA then another for a supercharger, multiple retunes, etc.).
In the absence of having all the cash to do the mods you want at once you can still buy wisely and save thousands. There are some standalone things you can start with like wheels, tyres, brakes that won't need revisiting if you decide to power up later.
So... what exactly do you want out of your car in the end?

All I want really is a little more power and throttle response, and a nicer sound to the car, nothing outrageous.

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Throttle controller

Best bang for buck and biggest smiles for 250$

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute