Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Mods to do to a 5ltr

cano1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS stateo 5ltr
Shift kit, 3,000 stall and Trick Shift Performance twin throttle body manifold.
got any pics of your car?
Good luck.

Frandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 VF SS-V M6 / '99 KN Laser
this is for a manual...in theory :p
i would love a V8 on my P's...but i would most likely get picked up...but if i find a good one...the cops can stick it :p

but then ill get rolled over :(

CAM05L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5.0/vy sv8/r31 rb20
when i got my car completely standard it ran a 15.0 quarter. i then added pacemakers and 2.5in zorst,and cai and ran 14.8s then i changed to twin gen3cats and added shift kit and i am running 14.5s all for around $1700.put extrators on myself and shiftkit. its a lot better to drive.next for me will be 3.7 gears and a cam and tune and should see 13.7s maybe 13.4s with slicks. so theres a little bit of a guide anyways

geardys

GEARDY
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 v8 ute 5sp
N.A mods

if ur on a buget i'd do the following:

get a full service. u'll be shock to find what new filters and cleaner fuel system does to response.

then go a CIA and high flow air filter or
go with an exhaust, extractors and a full system including twin cats. twins or single sytem is up 2 u.

if you get both done then go for a tune.

after that the next thing i'd do would be a cam (type up to you....... but don't go TOO big!!! stay around 214-220 degrees @050" DUR.), get the heads done, shaved with the manifold also being matched to the heads, also get the heads treated to K-line valves and get the valve guide boss and bowls touched up.
add a adj timing chain and some roller rockers and maybe get the throttle body opened up.

if u'd got a auto u'll also need a stall converter.

with all that its time to strap it back on the roller for a tune.

in a old mag called Street Horsepower (No.1) they had a buget of 3g on a Vl304. after the above mods (apart form the getting the carby tuned and a smaller cam) there power output went from 109hp (81.28kw) to 179hp (133.48kw) at the wheels or a 61% increase in power.

but with a 304 from a vr /vs u'b be looking at a bit more power, say around the 150's-170's rwkw depending upon cam, head work and tune.

if you wont to go further get the bottom end up to scratch and go for a bigger cam/ different throttle bodies or just strap on a Blower!!

but if u r a devoted N.A 5 Ltr man, there r blokes out there that have over 230 RWKW's!!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
when i got my car completely standard it ran a 15.0 quarter. i then added pacemakers and 2.5in zorst,and cai and ran 14.8s then i changed to twin gen3cats and added shift kit and i am running 14.5s all for around $1700.put extrators on myself and shiftkit. its a lot better to drive.next for me will be 3.7 gears and a cam and tune and should see 13.7s maybe 13.4s with slicks. so theres a little bit of a guide anyways

.3 of a second is optimistic by putting slicks on in this time bracket.

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
just a quick question guys...what would you need to make a 5.0L run 12's...i know this is hard to say...but roughly...basically...i am getting a 5.0L REAL soon...i wanna be able to beat midly worked skylines down the strip!...they are usually runnin the 12's...what would or where would i need to start to get these times...charger and boost it???...lol...sorry for this gay and very broad question but i just need a rough very rough idea...thanks in advance...

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
just a quick question guys...what would you need to make a 5.0L run 12's...i know this is hard to say...but roughly...basically...i am getting a 5.0L REAL soon...i wanna be able to beat midly worked skylines down the strip!...they are usually runnin the 12's...what would or where would i need to start to get these times...charger and boost it???...lol...sorry for this gay and very broad question but i just need a rough very rough idea...thanks in advance...

About $20,000? lol

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
nah seriously guys...give me a realistic idea... lol

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
lol, I'd like to see a MILD Skyline run a 12 :) man my 5 litre is nearly stock and its way faster than a Skyline gts-t with a little extra boostage. Even with heaps of boost and a really good cooler they aren't all that fast.

To runa 12 in a VN you will need either a semi decent stroker 355 or a fairly good 304 with a good manifold on it I don't think you will get out of that mission buy them time you buy a good gearbox for less than 10 grand unless you do it yourself