Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

best motor worth projecting with?

cruzncommo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5spd
ok i have a S2 VP 5spd with a VRs1 motor. this year im spending a fair bit on my car, BUT i dont know the best option.

1. work the motor in it.
2. dump in ecotec
3. dump in alloytech

which wud be the best bang for buck option (i only care about performance)

cheers for any help/advice.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
does it have to be a v6?? dropping a v8 in would give you more power and torque straight off the bat with room for improvement.
if it has to be a v6 id (biasedly) say the ecotec, but to put it in a vp would require some work.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I'd go 304 and stroke it, as the other guys stated if you insist on the sixes then ecotec would be my pick also.

cruzncommo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5spd
hmm im sticking with a 6, i thought about an L67 but i imagine theyd be too expensive and id have to get it engineered. i know the ecotec will fit straight in and i can just use all the wiring from my car. would i get more power from spending 5 grand on the VR motor or the same amount on an ecotec?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
you'd have to get an ecotec engineered as well, not anything major...we're lucky we live in qld - for an engine substitution like that you just need a mod plate and most good registered mechanics can issue that.
also an ecotec isnt a straight "drop in" for a vp, there actually is a bit of work involved to make it run...have a look at hozy's thread (v6 section) where he did a ecotec into a vn.
if $5k is your budget then id say to grab a supercharger and wack that on your current engine, vr's have pretty low compression (in comparison to the ecotec) so they can take decent enough boost.

cruzncommo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5spd
hmm sounds like a better idea, also a blower might be a bit cheaper to do. and less mucking round =) my next rides gonna be a VS s/c calais with a manual box behind it!

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Cheapest option for performance...??? How much do you want to spend ???

Probably the cheapest performance upgrade for a VP would be a Stroked 304 to GTS-R or better spec !!! That might sneak you into high 13's to low 14's with a LSD... I wouldn't stuff around with swapping in 6's such as Ecotecs or Alloytecs as it could be more expensive and time consuming with engineering it to keep it legal, etc. How good is your car ? Might be better to upgrade to a v8 equipped car.

Last edited:

cruzncommo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5spd
my car mungs on most V6's it sees with extractors and a stock exhaust... im thinkin id be best off working my motor as the only decent ecotec is the L67...

MBS206

Reaction score
RB25DET - 500RWHP stock internals,
1JZ-GTE - upto 1000RWHP standard internals...

Both motors around $2500 with looms and ECU, can be picked up at $2000 witha manual box at times too...