Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

best oil type and coolant type for vl rb30 n/a???????

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
bent rods, valves and throwin a leg outta bed, no more impellers.... ah the joys of fixing that mess, but hey if these guys want to run water as their coolant /shrug

sorry hijacked the thread to enforce how important running coolant really is.
Back to basic chemistry 101......
Lets starting with a cast iron block, alloy head and a copper radiator and add 12vdc along with thousands of volts from the ignition.
3 different metals with different ground potentials joined by water as the conductor/electrolyte.
Electrolysis has a field day on the alloy (especially at the exhaust side as it likes heat to do its job) as shown in the pics above being the weakest metal
you end up with important bits missing, eg $500-1500 missing from your wallet for an n/a motor, not going to guess and throw a figure for an rb30et........

Last edited:

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
op I use valvoline 20w50 as that is the MINIMUM recommendation there are others that maybe better. as stated above stay away from home brand oils.
also change oil and filter every 5000k's.

I have been using tectalloy but have recently heard that is very bad for electrolysis, I use concentrate. and make sure you always bleed the system by the book.
plain water is very bad and is doing damage that you cannot see or feel until it is too late. then you go from saving $$$ to spending $$$$$$.