Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RB30 or LS1

1987VLCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Hey guys I’m after some life saving advice from you fine people, I’m stuck on a decision & I don’t know what to do I have a VL N/A RB30 ( S2 ) & I don’t know whether I should pump money into the RB30 I am chasing about 500rwhp on pump fuel or do I go the route of dumping in a LS1 basically stock & hope I can drag 350rwhp out of it. Car will be auto also just trying to decide the best option I need feedback guys what would you do?

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
I had an RB30 skyline really liked the engine...An LS1 might take some work to get into the VL not sure about the sump/electrics etc....The RB30 would be more in keeping with the VL , Id be happy with just stock RB but theres a few packages around. My query with such a package is whether the Turbo RB has a specific crank and different pistons/rods/valves etc I note the package below doesnt address this.... Id be happy with a std rb30 and manual box.....If your just driving on city roads not much point in having 500hp...
https://makemegofast.com.au/product/rb30-500hp-package/

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I would personally drop in a nice built LS1

But, that's me

How is your budget?

Options from cheap to not cheap

Just bolt on a turbo, required supporting mods, and run low boost

Next would be build the RB30 bottom end for boost, some valve springs and other supporting mods and make some good power

Next, drop in a stock LS with some breathing mods, cam, springs, lifters (LS engines are bloody expensive)

Next build a LS to rev to the heavens or to eat boost (All of the expensive)

Have fun, don't rush in

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
F*ck the LS option, to much b/s and money to achieve goal.
Build up your original rb30 with larger turbo and retain the originality of the car
or better still put a 304/355 with harrop super charger kit
VL Calais came out with factory 304/carby

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Only really you can know what you really want out of a car. In theory a decent turbo, injectors, fuel pump ethanol and a tune should see you over 300rwkw with the RB30. probably still a 10k operation by the time you do all that.

LS1 conversion would be around 10k ish for a stock conversion and then another 3-5k to get you to around that 300rwkw plus would technically need engineering too.

Both are reasonable options but depends what you really want out of it.

1987VLCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Thanks for the input guys I used to have an xr6 turbo ute so gotta say I am a fan of the turbo but who doesn’t love the sound of a cammed up V8. I do like the hassle free option of the RB30. Thought it might be a cheaper bang for your buck going the LS1 route.
As for the 304/355 supercharged does sound tempting I might have to investigate that.

1987VLCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Only really you can know what you really want out of a car. In theory a decent turbo, injectors, fuel pump ethanol and a tune should see you over 300rwkw with the RB30. probably still a 10k operation by the time you do all that.

LS1 conversion would be around 10k ish for a stock conversion and then another 3-5k to get you to around that 300rwkw plus would technically need engineering too.

Both are reasonable options but depends what you really want out of it.
I hear you mate don’t forget i am a N/A RB30 so need mods to get it boosted.
I want a tough street car but I want it to rip when I want you know.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
if you are a fan of turbos don"t forget the toyota jz/turbo (1,000hp) options if you want to f*ck up the originality of having a VL Calais

1987VLCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
if you are a fan of turbos don"t forget the toyota jz/turbo (1,000hp) options if you want to f*ck up the originality of having a VL Calais
Or a Barra ahaha I felt an LS probably would mess with the originality thar much or am I just being stupid.