Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Oil?

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Slowly slowly people will come to realise that ulx-110(Green/blue coloured oil) is one of the best oils. The trend is starting for form, not only with our holdens but with Jap imports which only used to push full synthetics. On independant dynos (can be found on net - ulx site and planet soarer site) that as a full mineral oil it beat Mobil 1 Full synthetic or at least equalled the mobil, but never less.Also very good is the Brad Penns 'The Green Oil'(Has a colour indicator of when to change it). Both mineral oils and used in racing overseas in the states. Finding that it outlasts and less repairs on their vehicles during the season. Valvoline Dura blend and valvoline in general are an excellent oil, for some reason they get bad press, maybe cause of their advertising, but there product is nowhere near like that Castrol stuff. I know its unbelievable but Valvoline Durablend being a Semi Synthetic has more synthetic in it that Castrol Edge (fake) full synthetic. Couple hours research and checking M.S.D.S (Safety data sheets) will reveal this and with many other apparent synthetics. Legally they are allowed to call in synthetic, so we call it synthetic.

But again, for price and money you cant go past the Penzzoil GT Street Machine. Like i said in answer to the original question from a 5.0 owner, this oil is made for his car, and being a VL- 20W-50 is probably the better weight.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
Hi guys,

Was wondering what would be a good velocity oil to use for a 355 stroker? I am currently using 20w-50. I keep on getting different opinions, some say to thick, others say its better that its thick, I got no idea!

The car is a VL black motor stroked, 30 thou os pistons etc etc

What do you guys think? :bang:

Cheers! :thumbsup:

your going to get a million answer to the question.
winters coming so 10w~50.
summer 20w~50...what type synth, mineral, semi synth that is your choise.

the best answer is who built the engine and what tollerances are the bearing?
he should recomend the best oil!!!

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Although Holden made the car, they dont make the oil, and they have rebagged Fuchs oil nowadays, back in the day it was Valvoline i think. Whoever gives em the best deal. The one theing thats never explained is, although the manual stipulates 10W30 etc, doesn that remain the same for when the car has done 200,000 ?

Whatever you like, feels good on the car, makes you believe it idles smooth and good zip, thats the oil you go with. Theres like 10 oils out there at the moment, and we all have our favourties and naturally will recommend what we like.

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
Spending many years, testing different oils Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, Penrite, Penzoil, Shell, Redline, Royal Purple, etc in all different combinations, ive finally found a oil ive been happy with a sticking to, the brand is ULX-110 which im a stockist for now.

We run this oil in many drag cars, and to be honest i dont think there are to many oils on the market that could even compete.

Guys if you need a bottle simply give me a call, or shoot me a pm, you wont just be happy with the results you will fall in love with the smell of ULX.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I love the colour of the stuff as well.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Interesting- it appears to be a group I oil- chemically refined. Further proof that the higher you go (group II, Group III, Group IV) does not always mean better quality.

Basic philosphy still stands, and congratulations to this mob for realising what commercial oils dont seem to aknowledge- higher shear resistance/ load carrying ability makes for a better performing oil than anti wear additives and 'intellegent molecules'.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
VX Calais- you might know. PM has a smell of its own. i believe you have used the ULX- do you reckon the smell of them might be similar?

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
Spending many years, testing different oils Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, Penrite, Penzoil, Shell, Redline, Royal Purple, etc in all different combinations, ive finally found a oil ive been happy with a sticking to, the brand is ULX-110 which im a stockist for now.

We run this oil in many drag cars, and to be honest i dont think there are to many oils on the market that could even compete.

Guys if you need a bottle simply give me a call, or shoot me a pm, you wont just be happy with the results you will fall in love with the smell of ULX.

shoot me a pm :shooting:I already have;)

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
VX Calais- you might know. PM has a smell of its own. i believe you have used the ULX- do you reckon the smell of them might be similar?

Sorry Brad, i didnt see your post, no they dont smell that different, possibly similar additives, both look good, just the perception of putting in red and green oil hehe. The PM just smelt slightly sweeter for some reason. Enhancedss, its could to see more people stocking these oils, I get it from Speedparts in Dandenong. What have your customers opinions been of it so far ? Hopefully Victoria gets a distributer to PM, both high quality oils.