Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Option For Towbar

burleighboy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 A6
So, I'm after a towbar for my sedan. First thing I thought I'd do was get a price on a genuine towbar, fitted by Holden themselves. I pretty well knew they'd be the bench mark when it came to high pricing. Quoted $850 from one dealer and $790 from another. outrageous I thought, so I'm looking into some cheaper options.

It will only be used for light towing every now and again, so nothing too heavy duty is required, but I just want one that won't require cutting of the bumper or anything stupid like that.

I've checkout Allin Towbars online and their price is around $440. Not bad in comparison to Holden. But they only have the flat tongue ones not the square detachable kind.

Is Supercheap Auto a reasonable thought?

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
if your going to leave the tongue on it.. then it doesnt matter if box hitch or bolt up one. if u want to remove the tongue for neatness then go box hitch. if u have a box hitch. get a lock bolt for it. they can be popular to steal. i leave my tongue on always give me a little more protection for if i get hit in back. but its your personal choice. there not hard to fit.. drop off ur rear bumper. and hook up to ur boot loom. not hard job.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/ve-holden-commodore-2006/69242-towbar-wiring-harness.html

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The removable type or all of them?

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Technically they are all removable.

Not sure though, just something I heard a while ago. I've never actually heard of anyone getting done for it.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
So, I'm after a towbar for my sedan. First thing I thought I'd do was get a price on a genuine towbar, fitted by Holden themselves. I pretty well knew they'd be the bench mark when it came to high pricing. Quoted $850 from one dealer and $790 from another. outrageous I thought, so I'm looking into some cheaper options.

It will only be used for light towing every now and again, so nothing too heavy duty is required, but I just want one that won't require cutting of the bumper or anything stupid like that.

I've checkout Allin Towbars online and their price is around $440. Not bad in comparison to Holden. But they only have the flat tongue ones not the square detachable kind.

Is Supercheap Auto a reasonable thought?

they do the square ones for ve's, speak to grant there.

blasta1

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE
you have no option as far as i know you have to cut the rear bar , and dont think ya can get a bolt on tongue style for the ve i think they are all square hitch types , i may be wrong as we mostly install hayman reece . you are required to remove the hitch if it obstructs you number plate so not applicable to the ve .

burleighboy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 A6
you have no option as far as i know you have to cut the rear bar , and dont think ya can get a bolt on tongue style for the ve i think they are all square hitch types , i may be wrong as we mostly install hayman reece . you are required to remove the hitch if it obstructs you number plate so not applicable to the ve .

Here's a flat tongue one VE Commodore | Allin Towbars .

I know it's required to cut an opening in the diffuser thing. I had a look at my car and it has lines where it needs to be cut, sort of as though it's a guide.

I'd prefer the box hitch, as it's much tidier, and I can remove the insert and chuck it in the boot when not being used.

Whats sort of prices would you guys pay though? And is a towbar from Supercheap Auto an option worth considering, or are they a 'get what you pay for' thing?

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Burleighboy86 if you were in Victoria I'd be willing to sort something out with you for my factory tow bar set up.