Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

best polish and polishing techniques

B

blofly

G'day all, just thought I would ask everybody what their favourite polish they prefer to use and why they rate it better than any other brand out there.
Also what technique does everybody like to use? done by hand with 17 billion rags? done with an osccilating buffer unit? angle grinder with big lambswool cover spinning at 17000rpm?
Also what types of polish work best on Black paint?
Carnuba wax?
liquid waxes?
cream waxes?
I have a black VX and it has done 102,000km I bought it a few weeks ago and I seriously don't think it has ever had a good polish up. I think I will have to try a mild cut and polish, say kitten number 2 done by hand with rags in a shady area, then once the polish is buffed off I will probably try using a carnuba wax with an osccilating buffer maybe mothers brand, what do you all think?

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I would wash it, polish it I wouldn't bother cutting it. Then use a high quality wax. I think Turtle Wax and the Hi - Tech Wax from Macquires. But Carnuba Wax has been proven to be one of the best. Really protects the paintwork as it forms a layer over the paintwork.
But I waxed my car with normal Turtle Wax, four weeks later. Water still beads off it.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
i used this polyglaze bug and tar remover and it worked a treat... i had all these little black dots all over my car which is beige and this stuff got them all of and even got marks off i thought would never come off and if you leave it to dry to a haze which only takes 10 seconds you buff it and it leaves a really nice shine... the only time i saw my car this clean is when i first got it

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
That's good I bought that bug and tar removal last night. Because I wanted to get some bugs off my front bar as my car is in a wedding this weekend. I smelt the stuff and thought well this smells a bit too harsh. It says on the bottle if using on plastic to test in a patch first. Had be worried. But I won't just leave it on for a long while.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I use Zaino polish as for when i need a cut, i take it to my local spray/panelbeater, they are authed for ferrari, bmw, mercedes, audi, etc etc, so its best left in their hands.

Ps i wouldnt touch kitten cutters on phantom :)

<edit> I only hand polish

Ralph1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SSZ
Don't worry about cutting it on the newer type cars. Stick with a good wash, polish and a wax to finish it off.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
New cars, good quality car shampoo if you must...Meguires or Mothers. You shoulnd't have to polish it and sometimes you can even damage a new cars finish by using polish.

Older cars with good paint, good wash, then something like top-end Meguires or Mothers...can cost a bundle, but they're worth it, and usually come in many different sorts to suit exactly what your car needs. Gone are the days of a wide choice between Kitten or Turtle Wax, and that was it. :yeah:

Polishing cloths: cheesecloths in the stores are great, but I prefer for buffing off to do it by hand, and here's a tip, go to the local Vinnies store and buy up a bag of old cloth nappys. New nappys are no good, as they are too "hard"...old ones that have been through a zillion washes are perfect for buffing off by hand...nice and soft, and they only get better with washing more as you use them. Even put them in the tumble drier to "break" them in even more.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Wombat said:
New cars, good quality car shampoo if you must...Meguires or Mothers. You shoulnd't have to polish it and sometimes you can even damage a new cars finish by using polish.

Mate, all cars need polishing new or old, a good polish wil only last 3 months before a reapply is required, i do 3 coats of zaino to mine religiously every 3 months

B

blofly

I went down to my local discount auto parts store and had a look around at what they had. I seen they have a line of Mothers products called the California Gold Ultimate Wax System. It starts off with a Pre-wax cleaner like a slight cut and polish, then the next step is to use a sealer and glaze to reduce swirl marks and fill in very fine scratches, then the final step is to use a carnuba wax in either liquid or paste formular. The company claim that once you have done all three coats you only have to use the sealer and glaze and carnuba wax quarter yearly to maintain a quality finish.
I don't know just how effective the products would be but I am willing to try just the sealer and glaze to see if it would be sufficient on my car by itself :thumbsup:

F

ferg

I bought some Mothers one step cleaner wax and was impressed at how easy it was to use and the results are fabulous. I then got the polishing bug and got a mothers orbital buffer kit and some sealer and glaze that really made mt Vt gleam like new. the colour is rich and deep. nuff said,, im a fan of mothers!