Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Price To Install In A Vp

D

Digicruiser

Hi,

Bought myself a VP commodore, mechanically and rest A1 according to Ultratune, lucky that the previous owner looked after it like a baby... But I have this horrible cassette player job and wanna stick a decent stereo in this.

I need the backs cut out, put in 16x9 300w peak, front 90 watts peak, $369 stereo and Strath want about $850 or thereabouts for the installation, is that a fair price these days?

Thanks

D

death-from-above

Nah mate that sounds a very expensive, its very easy to do yourself. Maybe get a mate to do it for ya for half a slab or something. Save you a shitload of cash and have fun whilst doing it.

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
That price seems to be on the steep side...not knowing how much the speakers are, installation doesn't seem to differ too much from one place to the other...

about $60 for a HU
$60-75 for a set of speakers

For example, I got quoted $850 for a JL audio system 6" splits at the frot, 6x9s at the back, and a 12" sub in a box, from a car audio place in sydney.
I'd stay away from strathfield dude...i haven't heard good things about them..

Good luck with it!

PS welcome to the forums!

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
yeah i have heard bad things about strath as well

do it yourself you learn lots about your car and should only take 1/2 day if you know your car well.

cheers

scott

T

Tony

i didnt do it myself, but got someone to do it for me. I could do it now, but watching someone who knows what they are doing is handy and helps you the next time around. Seems a bit on the expensive side. There are plenty of guides around about how to do it. Give it a go yourself and save 300 bucks

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with the guys, don't pay for them to install. Get yourself a testlight and give it a go yourself. You'll get the best feeling when you finally get it all hooked up and put your first CD in

Any questions just ask here, I'm sure they'll be answered quickly.

Cheers and g'luck

Jake

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
I agree with Tony and Jake. Its great to do something yourself, but if you cant get it right, it's the worst feeling. I've installed many stereos in cars and utes, but not a Commodore yet, everything in them is just too intimidatingly cramped for me.

I'd say get someone to do it, and watch them. Then you know what's going on, and you'll be able to fix the problems yourself. If you get it installed by someone else, go shopping, find who will do it cheapest, make sure they are going to do everything exactly the way you want it done and that they wont knock the price up when you go to pay for it. I had this problem with Brisbane Car Sound (Strathfield), but because I had told them what I wanted on the phone and they quoted me the price, I got a significant discount.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Amen to that DJ

You'll be right with Commo fitting, VN-VS surrounds and related bits are easy to pull off Easiest make of car I've ever installed in, apart from a ute, so easy to run wiring/rca's and power to the rear. While still keeping things nice and neat.

Cheers

Jake

D

Digicruiser

Whoa! What a response - thanks heaps guys!

Yep, have installed my own in past vehicles but they already had the holes etc. Can do the wiring as I do electronics anyway, not that you need much electronics knowhow to do this - what I don't have confidence in, is using a jigsaw on the baby

What I may do is get the holes cut by pro's and I'll fit the rest in. Ah, just a pay packet more or two - I can't wait!

Thanks

Allen

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
$800 sounds a bit steep for installation....if you know how to follow instructions and use electrical tape then put aside an afternoon and get stuck into it...you will learn a lot like was said up there ^^^ and you cant really stuff it up just disconnect your battery so you dont break anything accidently.

If you need a hand at all goto the main site (http://www.justcommdores.com) and goto the files/downloads section....then download the Eurovox Wiring Diagram...it will show you what wire goes where in from the existing headunit thats in there so you just join the dots(or wires in this case) and if you need help getting the dash apart there is a guide in the How To's section for how get to the stock headunit.