Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Stereo for 1500 bucks?

TriK

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Berlina II sedan
Hey guys,

Am thinking about upgrading my stock stereo system...
I prefer alpine just because of past experiences i have had with them have all been good. So i was curious what would be the best system i could get for 1500 bucks. Im not all that hung up on a subwoofer im sure some decent speakers in the doors will be good enough but hey wont say no to a sub either...

By the way i drive a VT S2 Berlina.

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
Need three pre-out deck.
CDA-9856i iPod Direct CD / MP3 / WMA Receiver - $450rrp

Speaker amp 50wrms going to front and rear
MRP-F250 V-Power 4/3/2 Channel Power Amp - $299rrp

Type R Speakers front doors
SPR-17LP Type-R 6-1/2” Coaxial 2-way Speaker - $250rrp (Can be found cheaper)

Jaycar Response 800w mono amp - $400

12" Pioneer 306C sub - $120
Make own box, less than $50 or buy one for that.

$100 worth of wiring...

That comes to a little over, but you can bridge that amp for the speakers and run just over 100wrms to them speakers and have ample volume for now, $250 worth of Type r's in the rear later, and you will have a mint system.

The Response amps at 1ohm put out 800wrms and are decent amps for subs. Low heat, pump hard, good amps. The 306C will take well over 400wrms, like 600+wrms.

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
Personally I have found the best system would be including the:

Eclipse $400 deck, 5v pre-outs, 50x4... craps on the alpine, but not good reliability. I had an Eclipse 5425 last year and that thing hammered. Dont know the latest model number of it they changed it.

Eclipse XA4000 amp - 4x150wrms, $700 amp, but Alberts Perth had them on special for $400 for so long...

Soundstream 15" PCW-15 subwoofers, dual voice coil 4ohm, means two of them hooked up in parallel presents a 1ohm load to the amp - $200 each, $100 worth of box

Jaycar Response 800w mono amp running at 1ohm - $400

I wouldnt go with anything other than that combo any more. However, next subs will definately be the 306C's. PCW15's are good for wiring at 1ohm, but 4 306C's will do that =)

lieos

what ford i didnt see it
Reaction score
hey for $1500 your options vary greatly. especially if you need it installed it really depends where u go and the quality of install. the systems suggested are fairly good but it all comes down to personal choice. Eg in my car i hav a deck and amp already but i am spendin $1000 to get my front speakers done. it all comes down to what you want. it really comes down to the quality you want