Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best way to run in....

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I people here say flog the sh!t out of it then do it, I'm not entirely against it and I don't care cause its not my car, BUT when things starts to arise and you get holden to fix it its gonna be a pain as they may not always find the problem or saying they changed this n' that and the problem is still there and then you have to come back dozens of time. - Its just too much for some people.

Just read the recommendations in the manual (If there is one, should be) rather than asking here would be a good advice.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
there i no need to reset the ecu. there self learning. one or two rev out of the gears and it will no what to do.
its a modern car with a modern engine. it can adapt very quickly

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
Agree there, take advantage of your warranty period. Any issues will arise fairly quickly.

Are you indicating he should flog the crap out of it and if something goes wrong its alright because its under warranty? Or just saying he should flog it so he gets rid of the problems that would otherwise occur later on after the warranty period?

I would rather just drive it normally than to have to take it to the workshop every few months.

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
I have been told many times by performance mechanics, that while the cars engine has had a brief run in, there are other components to think about, i.e. gear box and diff.

The advice that I have been given and followed is always make sure the engine is at the right temp and drive it with respect but don’t baby it. Don’t snap gears, or full throttle shifts, but use the accelerator and give it some revs, but build it up, i.e. don’t just floor it, wind it on. Always had very responsive motors and no problems.

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
I have been told many times by performance mechanics, that while the cars engine has had a brief run in, there are other components to think about, i.e. gear box and diff.

The advice that I have been given and followed is always make sure the engine is at the right temp and drive it with respect but don’t baby it. Don’t snap gears, or full throttle shifts, but use the accelerator and give it some revs, but build it up, i.e. don’t just floor it, wind it on. Always had very responsive motors and no problems.

This is exactly how my dad has always run his cars in. Good advice :thumbsup:

VIPVT

Reaction score
when you pick it up take it for a few runs at calder it will teach it good.