Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Beware of dodgy LED change-over headlight kits sold online...

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
My mechanic visited to service my Commodore and my partner's little Hyundai Accent. We do a bit of country driving so I decided to bite the bullet and order LED replacement sets for the headlights online. The units were the ones that are meant to be error-free, with inbuilt fans...etc...etc...
The Hyundai (2004 model) accepted the new bulbs without a hitch... The car's electronics are so primitive that Canbus is not an issue. The Commodore, on the other hand... Oh my! The kit included the high and low beam bulbs and they fitted into the holder, etc quite okay. They powered on without a hitch BUT the centre LCD display in the dash kept reporting "low beam dipping error." So...not as error-free as the manufacturer and seller would have you believe. We tried turning the car on and off to see if the error would clear.... Nope. So the original Osram halogens went back in. What a waste of money!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
that's because most of them a dodgy chinese crap, the maker of the kit has probably never even installed it and just sells them online and does refunds when challenged - if that.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Different vehicles have different levels of resistance required to keep the sensor happy and the led kits are not tested on all vehicles so you will find many kits fail to work.

The best bet is to find kits that are known to work on the model of vehicle you own.

I used the nighteye ones on my s1 vf without issue but the same kit threw errors on my zb without using 2 canbus modules daisy chained.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
VE's were hard to find 'error free' lamps that worked.
VF's are much more 'specific'...

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Don’t get the cheap generic ones.

Use specific ones that are more expensive such as Blingwork or HIDs from AEI. You won’t get issues with those.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Narva LED's work perfectly on a VF with the resistor on low beam, but they're not plug and play and takes a bit of wiring and messing around for a nice fitment. They're "slightly" better than a performance halogen on low beam with a better light spread but distance is still lacking and still doesn't match the stock low beams on an FG Falcon. The old FG series 1 is a had car to beat with great OEM halogen headlights high and low beam.

Once you've driven behind a pair of Lightforce LED/HID spotlights that are insanely mind blowing, all car headlights then seem useless even the good one's!

Here's Narva LED's low and high beam on a VF2
20211007_214415.jpg

20211007_214405.jpg

Last edited:

kiwitrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm Sedan Auto
My mechanic visited to service my Commodore and my partner's little Hyundai Accent. We do a bit of country driving so I decided to bite the bullet and order LED replacement sets for the headlights online. The units were the ones that are meant to be error-free, with inbuilt fans...etc...etc...
The Hyundai (2004 model) accepted the new bulbs without a hitch... The car's electronics are so primitive that Canbus is not an issue. The Commodore, on the other hand... Oh my! The kit included the high and low beam bulbs and they fitted into the holder, etc quite okay. They powered on without a hitch BUT the centre LCD display in the dash kept reporting "low beam dipping error." So...not as error-free as the manufacturer and seller would have you believe. We tried turning the car on and off to see if the error would clear.... Nope. So the original Osram halogens went back in. What a waste of money!
I got a set from Superior Vision Australia,they are great, had a problem with the same message as yours but the reverse bulbs and they sent a new set immediately .