Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Big end - options

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Wrecker engine is the go. May want to consider an L67 convo too while your damaged engine is removed

Tamkat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
Forgive my ignorance. ...... L67 convo??

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
a lot more involved than just throwing a supercharged engine in
need ECU, fuel pump controller, fuel pump and lots of little bits
I would get a motor from the wreckers
I doubt it is just the main bearings, though

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
VT2 will have the same ecu as an L67 so don't need to change the ecu, just need a vt L67 memcal

Fuel pump controller isn't needed however an L67 fuel pump is essential as you said Lout

It's as easy as finding a VT-VY L67. Modding the existing loom to reach injectors and a couple sensors, fitting L67 fuel pump and memcal

Turn key and drive

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
You honestly need to decide what your car is worth
a) with it's current broken engine
b) with a replacement engine in good condition

then find the cost of engine swap and decide whether that is cheaper and easier than selling off the good parts of the car (for low prices so as to move them quickly) and purchasing something else in good running condition.

I would also ask why the big end went at only 270k? bad service history? lack of oil changes etc.
I would think 400K would be the minimum on a well looked after vehicle

Schwuppes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais L67 (conversion)
The standard ecotec fuel pump will work fine for a stock L67... i think it maxes out at a bit over 200rwhp

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The standard ecotec fuel pump will work fine for a stock L67... i think it maxes out at a bit over 200rwhp

Don't be too sure, the L67 pump has two speeds standard and the stock motor don't push those horsies. Not saying it won't work, but stuff doing things twice when a Walbro is $100 and easy fit.

Op: crate Eco's with 150k can be had off eBay for around $500 from reputable sellers. If the car's a keeper, it's a pretty good deal and with a crane only a few hours work.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Agree with Jxw^^^ but if anyone can tell me where a 71 yr old and broke pensioner can find a decent ecotec V6 within 200klm's of Sydney for around $100, I would be most gratefull. No ancilliaries needed, just a long working motor. Mine has water in the oil and I have got past repairing engines.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Agree with Jxw^^^ but if anyone can tell me where a 71 yr old and broke pensioner can find a decent ecotec V6 within 200klm's of Sydney for around $100, I would be most gratefull. No ancilliaries needed, just a long working motor. Mine has water in the oil and I have got past repairing engines.

Gumtree would probably be your best bet for something that cheap.

I picked up my 304 from gumtree for $700 after looking at local dismantlers wanting $1500+......I took a gamble though on buying an engine in a private sale that was already out of the car and had no service history etc, but ended up with a winner, it's the luck of the draw really

But for $100 you are going to be looking for a while.

Cheapest I have seen one go for in running condition is around $350 or so.

$100 is what the engine would be worth as scrap for a rebuild