Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Big Mags and fuel consumption.

vzuterus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
I have a VZ Ute that I just put a set of 18' mags on (I had stock wheels previously). All of a sudden, according to my computer the fuel consumption has from from 7.9 litres/100km to 10!! Can anybody shed some light?

The other strange thing is that my speedo has stayed dead accurate.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Mags would weigh less then stock steels I'd imagine.. If anything it would improve fuel economy.. But most likely have a negligible effect..

Ralph1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SSZ
I was always told bigger wheels need more power to turn them, hense more fuel.

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
My 18's are a hell of a lot heavier than my 15" VR calais, and my stockies.

Z

Z()LTAN

dudes its simple lol. the more rubber u have on the road the more friction so therefore more fuel usage :) anything ??X8 will make more traction but more friction..

P

portercg

dumb question, if the 18" tyre and wheel package is higher overall than the stockers, it will put your speedo out to read a slower road speed than actuial road speed and cause a false reading you your fuel computer?

checked that?

Z

Z()LTAN

that dosnent happen... much as they have low profile tyres with the bigger rims

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Speedo should stay accurate as the circumference of the tyre is similar. Also the footprint of the tyre if any different should be slightly smaller on the 18s as the profile is smaller so the sidewall should not distort as much. It might just be the tyre composition or tread that is causing the change.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Yeah its somthing about larger wheels taking more energy to spin than smaller wheels, Thats why its harder to spin the wheels with bigger rims. But going 100+km/h you should get better economy because the bigger wheels carry more momentum. Its got something to do with gravity (like that old school science experiment with the swivel chair and holding a spinning bicycle rim) if you did that same experiment with a smaller rim it wouldn't have the force of the bigger rim.

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
it depends if the tyres are simliar in circumfrance and the profile is alot lower. if thats the case you shoiuldnt see much difference in your speedo.