Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Biggest drag radials you can run F+R?

Mr123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 SSV Redline
Thinking of running a 245/45r17 or 245/40r17 drag radial in the front and either a 275/50r17 or 275/45r17 in the rear

Confident the fronts will be fine but unsure about the rears, car is on coil overs at the moment so not worried about the guards rubbing

Anyone with any knowledge in this field would be greatly encouraged to reach out and share your setups and experiences if you’ve got a similar set up to run the 1/4 mile

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Will your Redline Brembos get under a 17" wheel? The MY16 Redline uses very large rear rotors (360mm) so I am guessing a 19" or possibly 18" would be the smallest wheel for some.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If it does have Brembo's on the rear, you'll be able to fit 18" wheels over the brakes, with the right offset.
Koya make an 18"x10" with a +57 offset, can fit 285/40 drag radials under the guards.
305/40 will fit with a guard roll.

Mr123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 SSV Redline
Car is a S1 Ssvr so only the Brembo up front

Leaning towards the Simmons Fr’s As they have +45 offset which will clear big brakes

Will post up Fitment photos when the wheels and tyres get fitted

GMVPSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline Wagon, 7sec Pontiac GXP, VY Ute
I designed those Koya 18x10 rims even though they and everyone told me they wouldn't fit.

285/40R18 Mickey Thompson Drag Radial fits with 5mm clearance on the inside and no sticking out past the gaurds.

Heaps of clearance on the Caliper.

unfortunately they don't make an 18 x 5 for the front that matches so I ended up sourcing the front runner from the USA to clear the redline front caliper. (I use QFM HPX pads without the balancers so they fit easily.
Koya_18x10_1.jpg
Koya_18x10_2.jpg
Koya_18x10_3.jpg
Koya_18x10_4.jpg
Wheel_Machining_Jan18.jpg
Koya.jpg
Racestar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GMVPSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
If it does have Brembo's on the rear, you'll be able to fit 18" wheels over the brakes, with the right offset.
Koya make an 18"x10" with a +57 offset, can fit 285/40 drag radials under the guards.
305/40 will fit with a guard roll.

305's will fit on the rim, but I don't think they will fit under the car. I cannot fit my fingers between the inner liner and the 285's and the 305's will be 10mm wider per side. I can see clearance all around the inside, but not enough for the wider tyre. Even rolling for the 305 might not be enough. I think they will poke out and need the body raised high enough to clear it!

Also something to consider is height of the tyre. The 285/40R18 is close to the diameter of the road tyres, but the 275 is 28" or 29" tall. To most that wont mean anything, but to a drag racer, the additional rollout is taking out gear ratio, so your 3.7 will become like a 3.5 taking away startline mechanical advantage.

Also the 26x6 Mickey Thompson front runners are the same diameter as the 285/40 rears so you wont have any issues driving to the track with speedo and stability control etc. :)

Last edited:

Deucefanny

Reaction score
Members Ride
17 VFII Redline
Those front runners look good. I've been looking but can't find any. Where did you buy yours from GMVPSS? Also what did you machine out of the rear wheels to make them fit?
Cheers DF

And do you have a side on pic of your car with the rims on ?

GMVPSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Those front runners look good. I've been looking but can't find any. Where did you buy yours from GMVPSS? Also what did you machine out of the rear wheels to make them fit?
Cheers DF

And do you have a side on pic of your car with the rims on ?

The front runners I bought direct from the USA. They are CTS-V Fitment. I had to make a hub adaptor to suit the VF hub diameter to the Race Star wheel. I ordered them in plain aluminium and had them powdercoated out here gloss black as the black they do from the factory is semi transparent. I also used a 3mm thick spacer just to move them away from the callipers as they were a little too close for comfort from the factory.

The side picture also doesn't show the front wheels tucked in underneath the guards. There are Weld rims available to clear the Brembo brakes, but they stick outside the quarter panel by over 1/2", mine are tucked in my 3/4"!

Photo isn't great, but you get the idea. on the front pic you can kind of see the fronts tucked in.

I didn't machine anything out of the rear wheels as I designed the hub to suit the VF and offset to clear the Brembos. The only thing I did is tie the park brake cable to the lower control arm with a couple of cable ties as it was rubbing on the edge of the rim and modify the Koya cap so I could fit the Holden Red Cap into it. :)

Heathcote_050518.jpg

Heathcote_2_050518.jpg

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Why are you putting radials on the front AND rear? Is it AWD or something?