Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bikes Lane Splitting

sts71

Reaction score
Hey Everyone

Just curious, I know this is a car group, but I also ride a bike, Ive had to ride this week until my clutch gets fixed today and its reminded me of the current debate regarding motorcycles being allowed to "lane split". The current govt wants to make it illegal everywhere in Oz.
I do admit that on occassion, usually when traffic is stopped and its completely safe to do so and my engine is heating up to 3/4 on the gauge I have, purely to get airflow on the radiator I have, but generally I dont.
I belong to a few diff bike groups and believe that in Victoria, "lane splitting" is legal, but only when traffic stopped. London, its toally legal, called lane filtering.
Whats your thoughts here, should bikes be allowed to? AS LONG as its safe?
Yes there are hoons on bikes that wear tshirts and thiongs and pop wheelies and stuff, Im not advocating those, just purely lane splitting.

Your thoughts?

Steve

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I dont mind it riders doing it once the traffic has come to a stop, but I have had them do it when the traffic is still going 20-30km/h before.
I am always nervous about the riders skill when they do it tho, nothing scares me more then someone with L's on there bike riding up the middle.
AirStrike :air:

sts71

Reaction score
Yes I definetly agree about some L-Platers, some riders do think that its their god given right to do so. Most forget thet riding/driving is a priviledge not a right. Then you have the kamakasi scooter riders in the city areas, hmmm

MarzVP

I now own a TARAGO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Tarago
I dont see a problem with it at all.

BANGERS88

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 Toyota Starlet GT, turbo.
i dont mind it also when your stopped, but when the traffics moving, i mean your not always looking for bikes to come beside you while your moving so whats to stop two cars side by side getting a bit close together just as a bike comes up the middle? And as for the thongs and bonzies on a moter bike one of dads friends did that on the way to the shop bike got stuck in third gear full noise, He looked like the michilen man with all the bandges, took the bark off him good and proper!

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
I think it is dangerous and I am glad to hear the govt are trying to make it illegal throughout the country.

sts71

Reaction score
Just to add to this conversation, what about tollways, on the harbour bridge in Sydney, they used to pay 5c and cars were 20c, back then they believed there was a difference.
Do you think a 2wheeled bike 250cc compared to a 1 tonne car at 1.6ltrs should pay the same tolls?

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
I fully agree with making it illegal, theres nothing worse than having a motorbike come roaring past your window when your at traffic lights, & i think tolls should be the same for all vehicles, as everyone uses the road

sts71

Reaction score
Charg'd said:
I fully agree with making it illegal, theres nothing worse than having a motorbike come roaring past your window when your at traffic lights, & i think tolls should be the same for all vehicles, as everyone uses the road

I agree with the dropkicks that roar past cars, thats just an accident waiting to happen, but I do think that maybe its unfair for bikes to pay 3.30 on M5, they use less space, less harmful to road to say a family car etc but anyway
Im just interested to hear people opinions.

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
sts71 said:
I agree with the dropkicks that roar past cars, thats just an accident waiting to happen, but I do think that maybe its unfair for bikes to pay 3.30 on M5, they use less space, less harmful to road to say a family car etc but anyway
Im just interested to hear people opinions.

its the same as bikes as it is for cars, the minority ruin it for the rest, the idiots on bikes ruin it for everyone else i.e; some bikes drive between cars slowly & carefully others roar past like ********s.

As for the tolls my opinion is that we all use the road for the same thing ( gettin from A to B) therefore we should pay the same tolls. This is my opinion i dont expect everyone to agree