Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bit more then basic v6 motor swap questions.

skitzone80b

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr executive
Alright no longer raging. Due to the fact that's a 1993 I know that it's a newer model motor but wouldn't the emissions have to require the same output as the original motor if not better? I've already got extractors on mine and I'll happily swap the intake manifold over I was thinking you meant actual exhaust ports on the heads were different! Awesome, I think I should be able to do this. And at the end of the day I've been in cars that've been yellowed for not having a cat in them over here and it's a standard defect don't get a huge epa fine like over east.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
the regulations are that the engine has to meet the emission standards of the engine not the vehicle it's in, say i put vt engine in a vb commy, it would have to meet the vt's emissions standards, all that is controlled by the ecu/sensors and tuning so it'd be fine providing it has all it's meant to have (cat/sensors etc etc) so pretty much use your existing loom if it's already setup for an ecotec and it's a straight swap.

from your first post it seemed you were going from a buick to ecotec, oh and as for the spigot bush.... they're a pain to remove, doubt you'll be able to mig it as it's a brass alloy from memory, best way i've heard of but never had any luck in the past is to fill the void with grease, find a tight fitting metal rod, bash the rod in with a hammer and the hydraulic force on the grease should force the bush out........ been quite a few years since i've had to remove and replace one and i can't remember how i got the suckers out now...

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
When I fitted a VS ecotec to a VY not long ago, I just had to fit the inlet and exhaust manifolds off the old VY ecotec onto the VS ecotec and change the passenger side engine mount as they were slightly different. The VS inlet and exhaust manifolds dont have the EGR fittings, and VT and later models only use one temperature sensor on the inlet manifold for both the ECU and the temp gauge, whereas the VS has two seperate temp sensors, one for the temp gauge, one for the ECU.

skitzone80b

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr executive
Bretto cheers for chiming in dude, I was going to disconnect the loom off my old motor and reuse it with the new one sitting in there. You reckon I should use the loom off the VT or swap the couple little sensors off the VS motor onto the VT one man?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah, I just swapped over the inlet and exhaust manifolds as this also solves the problem of having to change any sensor wiring etc. It will all just plug in as normal. The inlet manifold gaskets always end up leaking on these V6 engines after theyve done a few k's, so I figured I may as well fit new inlet manifold gaskets, swap the manifolds over and solve the sensor wiring problem as well. Changing the manifolds over is easy to do anyway. I bought a VRS gasket kit, as these kits have all the gaskets you will need, except for the heater outlet/inlet pipe o rings, which you can get from a holden dealer for a couple of dollars.. I paid around $100 for the VRS gasket kit on ebay. Oh, and the kit I bought was for a VY ecotec, not the VS ecotec. So obviously youd need a VRS kit that suits VT, there must be some minor differences between some of the VS and VT/VY gaskets.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
if you're using the ecu currently in the vehicle and was working on the now dead ecotec, i'd use the loom off that, if the vt is an early loom it'll have 3 plugs that go to firewall on the drivers side, these plugs do not exist on a vr/vs, can't confirm or deny that the later vt loom even came close to matching the vr/vs body side looms either..

you know the old ecotec worked, use the loom off that, don't try to reinvent the wheel, stick with what worked (some of the plug and wiring info is pretty hard to find on the net now, some stuff i have printed out in folders is from 10 years ago and it can't be found in search engines anymore, unless you have a good mechanic mate with access to holden or the vacc for info you'll likely be stuck in a barbed wire canoe, paddling up **** creek...... without a paddle using your hands)

skitzone80b

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr executive
No worries man, I'm just used to nissan's where the ecu literally only works the motor so you unplug it at the computer , feed through firewall and install new motor with loom already attached. Yeah the old computer worked fine, I might have to get another memcal for it as I can't be bothered swapping cam's it's 40 degrees I need a running car.