Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bit of smoke out exhaust

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
I was trying to make a vid of my exhaust not today, noticed its a bit smokey under full throttle at high revs. Just wondering if most alloytecs will have a bit of unburnt fuel, or im running too rich, or not burning properly. By the way, i have a bit of a miss at idle, and no load with revs, i took it to holden to check it cause ive changed all the parts i can, but they said im imagining the popping in the exhaust note, its the mounts sagging, so i changed them, but its still got the miss. Ive ordered good plugs, they will be coming next week, but i would be good to know if smokey is ok.

Thanks in advance for replies

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
where's the smoke coming from dude?i think you smokin too much.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Clearly he said he was trying to make an exhaust note vid and there was smoke. Not hard to put 2 and 2 together

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
where's the smoke coming from dude?i think you smokin too much.

The guys post is easy to understand, I think you are the one who's been smoking to much.

Anyway, what colour is the smoke that its blowing, is it black, white, blue etc? Does it smell like fuel or burnt oil etc?

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Blue is oil, black is fuel and white is water.

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
I'm an apprentice mechanic so I know the basics. It was unburnt fuel. And I was revving to 6000 on full throttle, what I'm asking is if other people have experienced some "black smoke" under the same circumstances. And by black smoke I don't mean can't see through it, I mean it was black in colour, sort of like a new Gen diesel under load. Basically, you can see it on a vid. I might upload the video if its not clear cut whether these engines put out any smoke.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Mine doesn't and runs on 12:1 air fuel ratio. I doubt a standard sv6 runs richer than that

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Carbon built up in the exhaust and when u gave it a big rev it cleaned it out?

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
I guarantee it would have been clean as it rained the last time it started, and I won't deny it, I'm a super hoon in the wet. And I give it some every drive.

But now I know it shouldn't smoke, I can start my quest of diagnosis, thanks boys.