Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black Grill Surrounds Installed By Dealer?

cp993

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF SV6 Series ll
Hey guys,

Has anyone had any experience with the dealer fitting the black grill surrounds? My service is coming up and am wondering if its worth getting them to fit it at the same time. Not confident enough to take the bar off myself.

berlina411

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
Depends....what price has the dealer quoted to install? Hope it won't be too ridiculous. I did mine although I was not very confident at first either.
First attempt I couldn't get the DRL wiring plug to separate so I quit and put it back together. Second time I persevered and very carefully got everything apart and back together without any issues. Took me a couple of hours but I took my time and it all turned out ok
If you're willing to pay the dealer, great but I found it rewarding to have done it myself

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
It’s a massive pain to change them over... a lot of work to get the bumper off and the trim pieces whilst not marking the parts whilst doing so.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
i beleive jhp in Melbourne charge $790 supply and fitted not including side vents

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
While I admire those who DIY on their cars, there's some things I personally wouldn't even try....this is one of them, far to easy to damage paintwork, wiring etc...my advice, stump up the readies to the dealer. If they bust it, they fix it..

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
While I admire those who DIY on their cars, there's some things I personally wouldn't even try....this is one of them, far to easy to damage paintwork, wiring etc...my advice, stump up the readies to the dealer. If they bust it, they fix it..
Lol there is a hell of alot of things a dealer or any trade touching your car could break, crack, stretch and patch up that you would never know about hidden behind a front bar. The old they break it they fix it line is total crap IMO.

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
Lol there is a hell of alot of things a dealer or any trade touching your car could break, crack, stretch and patch up that you would never know about hidden behind a front bar. The old they break it they fix it line is total crap IMO.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
there is a hell of alot of things a dealer or any trade touching your car could break, crack, stretch and patch up that you would never know about hidden behind a front bar. The old they break it they fix it line is total crap IMO

Undoubtedly true, but I wasn't referring to hidden damage, mainly obvious damage, like scratches on the bar or a DRL suddenly not working due to damaged wiring etc, things that the average Joe blow at home could easily cause. They would absolutely be fixing things like that before my car left their lot.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Depends....what price has the dealer quoted to install? Hope it won't be too ridiculous. I did mine although I was not very confident at first either.
First attempt I couldn't get the DRL wiring plug to separate so I quit and put it back together. Second time I persevered and very carefully got everything apart and back together without any issues. Took me a couple of hours but I took my time and it all turned out ok
If you're willing to pay the dealer, great but I found it rewarding to have done it myself
I like that you went back and had another crack. Then nailed it. Good on ya!

berlina411

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
I like that you went back and had another crack. Then nailed it. Good on ya!

Thanks for that. I hate to be beaten :oops: Once I knew how the bar came off from the first attempt, 2nd time was easier. I just made sure that I didn't scratch anything by using 2 old thick blankets to lay the bar on when it came off. Unclipping the old surrounds was also a pain but again, take your time and it all comes apart. The new black ones just clip in very easily. At least I know that I did it right and to my satisfaction rather than having a dealer do it and not knowing what possible damage they may have caused. I have no faith in dealers after at least 3 issues during servicing