Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black Lights

H

holdenvR

Hey guys,
Does anyone know where to get black tail lights i want my vr to look mean, second hand or new in melbourne. My Vr is a dark green do you think the old skool black lights or clear lights would best suit my car.

Thanks.. Kade

M

mwb235

if you want dark (but not so dark that it's illegal) I'm told the go is to mix up some clear-coat paint, with a few drops of black in it, and spray it on. Either a pressure pack (custom mixed by a paint shop) or a reputable spray/panel shop. That's what I'm thinking of doing to me VR but I haven't actually seen it done...

M

mwb235

btw go for tinted stock lights & stay away from those cheap and nasty Depo lights, they're **** on almost all VR/VS's (just my opinion tho). Just don't make 'em too dark so the pigs nick you for it...

N

nathanb

Do you mean tinted lights or the black Altezza ones that look like this?

LRS1001PB.jpg

M

mwb235

no, I suggest it is better to get stock standard GMH rear lights tinted (using the clear paint with black drops in it, as mentioned previously) INSTEAD OF the Depo-branded (also known as "Altezza") lights as per your photo.

Of course the Depo lights are around $200 a set of 4, whereas a set of 4 new GMH lights is over $550! ($175 each for the side lamps, $100 each for the boot lamps, approximately). If you have faded reflectors (like my VR did have) I couldn't blame you for going with the Depo lamps, particularly at almost 1/3 the cost. But after one whole week I hated mine so much I spent the $550-odd on 4 new genuine lamps and put 'em back on. It'll look even better when I've tinted them.

off topic (sort of) - I think the Depo "performance" front headlight/indicators look excellent. It's a pity Depo didn't make the rears look as good. Just my personal opinion tho...

=Calais v8=

Holden Tech Apprentice
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII 5.0L Calais, 13b ae71
whats the difference between the depo headlights and the stock headlights? i saw a picture, and they just look stock to me? :confused:

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Alaskan VR said:
whats the difference between the depo headlights and the stock headlights? i saw a picture, and they just look stock to me? :confused:

I thought this aswell untill l saw it in person, they look AMAZING on a nicely done vs. I'm deffinately getting a pair after l get my kit and cam fitted.

M

mwb235

stock are stock whereas Depo front lights are just like the "projector lamps" you see on VX/VY/VZ Calais, HSV, etc. They are just completely clear (like a sheet of window glass) rather than the usual heaps of patterns in the glass. I have 'em on my VR since late last year and they look tops. Check out eBay they're always selling them there (and they usually have good-size images too)...

N

nathanb

mwb235 said:
no, I suggest it is better to get stock standard GMH rear lights tinted (using the clear paint with black drops in it, as mentioned previously) INSTEAD OF the Depo-branded (also known as "Altezza") lights as per your photo.
I wasn't recommending he gets these ones - I just wanted to get him to claify what he meant by "black lights". Some people do like them though, personally I used to think they were OK, but the more I see them the less I like them. I have to replace the rears on my car and I'm going for stock. You got ripped off for $550 though! You can get a new set online from a few places for around $420 with clear indicators (even less for the ones with yellow indicators like in an Exec)

The headlights are here: http://www.ssv.com.au/images/HL_VR_VS.jpg and they do look a lot better than the std ones... which are all "milky" in comparison. You can buy them online at ssv.com.au for $297 plus shipping

Last edited by a moderator: