Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black roof paint faded

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The clear was just about to go. I don’t think I got a before and after. I should have but let’s say there’s some comparisons with OP’s roof there.

I posted to give some hope and direction with bringing it back. I’ve listed the methods and products there.

I recall I did spot sand with sugar soap and 3000 grit before, by Geeze I did it selectively and gently with a great deal of caution.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
If it was my car I'd definitely have a go at trying to restore it myself, but if you don't have the equipment or experience then you'll need to pay a detailer to do the job.

If that's the case, then it may be cost effective to get a bodyshop to do a respray.

If I couldn't do it myself, I'd most likely go for the respray.

What does the rest of the body look like?

Micaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
9/17 SSV Redline & 83 VH SS
1st, are we sure that’s not cheap vinyl wrap?

If it’s defs paint, have a go. It’s rooted either way so nothing to loose.

If you go to post 107 in this link, https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/the-red-vz.292879/page-11

The roof on mine was absolutely rooted. The clear was so close to going. Have a look what I turned that into.

More here: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/the-red-vz.292879/page-15
Yeah not a wrap, top of windscreen seal looks dried out as well. Screen side mouldings are toast too ( have ordered new ones)

Micaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
9/17 SSV Redline & 83 VH SS
I'd rather rub a Porcupine over the bodywork before I'd let a dealer detail any of my cars, and there is no way I'd let them try and fix that.

The mouldings may be resurrected by using a product like 'Black Wow' (there are other brands on the market as well) then some protectant.

If the roof is pitted, it will need filling and respraying, if not, you may be surprised what a very good detailer can do.

If that was my roof and it wasn't pitted, I'd take a machine to it knowing I couldn't make it any worse, if you don't have a machine polisher, I'd still speak to a detailer for advice.

The worse they can say is it's beyond help and that advice costs nothing.

Surface is smooth, no actual pitting but I suppose might say badly oxidised.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Surface is smooth, no actual pitting but I suppose might say badly oxidised.
Silly question. The roof has not wrapped has it?