Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black roof paint faded

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Factory black roof option was robot painted same as the original, and the car went around the paint shop twice after the main colour areas were masked up. Dealers could've had a local panel shop paint the roof black on a car in stock.
But we have pictures of cars with the black roof option where they just sprayed over the trims …

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
But we have pictures of cars with the black roof option where they just sprayed over the trims …
There's a few videos showing the black roof option done at the factory and explanation how they did it in the production line. I don't know if they sprayed over the roof mouldings or if they were painted individually.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Gone beyond a detail I think. Dealer did detail it with not much improvement

I'd rather rub a Porcupine over the bodywork before I'd let a dealer detail any of my cars, and there is no way I'd let them try and fix that.

The mouldings may be resurrected by using a product like 'Black Wow' (there are other brands on the market as well) then some protectant.

If the roof is pitted, it will need filling and respraying, if not, you may be surprised what a very good detailer can do.

If that was my roof and it wasn't pitted, I'd take a machine to it knowing I couldn't make it any worse, if you don't have a machine polisher, I'd still speak to a detailer for advice.

The worse they can say is it's beyond help and that advice costs nothing.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
A dealer paint job reminds me of a VS SS my wife bought on a factory order that arrived with transit damage and dent in the bonnet. The dealer had it repaired, the job was crap and I refused delivery until they swapped the bonnet off a car on the showroom floor with factory paint. It took a bit of an argument with the dealer principal to swap the bonnet and luckily the paint matched.

I certainly wouldn't trust a dealer to do a quality job of a black roof option!

I had a small run at the bottom of the driver's door of my Ute on delivery.

The service manager was not impressed that I'd picked it up.

Long story short (that's a first for me), the dealer had bumped another car into in when moving them off the truck, and they sent it out for a quick repair, I was not supposed to look at the car on delivery like 99% of owners.

It was sent to a repairer of my choice to be repaired properly, luckily it wasn't a dint, it was a deep scratch that was repaired.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
There's a few videos showing the black roof option done at the factory and explanation how they did it in the production line. I don't know if they sprayed over the roof mouldings or if they were painted individually.
The pictures I’ve seen of a “factory” black roof paint-job makes me think that a left-handed spray-painting chimp who lost his right hand in a tragic wanking accident would be horribly embarrassed if someone pinned the spray-job on him.

That trim that covers the seam in the roof and into which the roof-racks attach; straight over. A robot job wouldn’t spray enough extra paint to bridge the gaps between that trim & the metal.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
The pictures I’ve seen of a “factory” black roof paint-job makes me think that a left-handed spray-painting chimp who lost his right hand in a tragic wanking accident would be horribly embarrassed if someone pinned the spray-job on him.
Classic:)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The pictures I’ve seen of a “factory” black roof paint-job makes me think that
It looks like a black vinyl roof on a Hillman Hunter!

Bit like my eyes processing black wheels as the hub caps missing on an old VK!

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The roof on mine was absolutely rooted. The clear was so close to going. Have a look what I turned that into.
That's a killer job you've done on the ute, I'm impressed 10 out of 10, well done!