Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black smoke and snap

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Definately not injectors as i've had them cleaned and rebuilt just recently! Don't apply throttle when starting, never have, never have needed to because she starts up fine. Sat out this morning and started the car, no black smoke. So i've put that down to build up of crud in the tail pipe i bought off ebay and when she heats up the crud lifts slightly off the surface of the inner pipe, then switch motor off, it slowly cools again and begins to settle and then i start motor up again which blows the unsettled carbon build up on the inner rear tail pipe. Should have flushed it out with pressure hose before i fitted it...Ahh well i'll live with it! Now to fix this damn SNAP when the engine starts. I'm thinking it could be one of two things:

a) Spark problem, Plugs, Coil pack
b) Fuel/air delivery to throttle body, Vacc leak, MAF sensor, IAC valve not opening as it should (Which could explain loss of power then sudden burst in higher revs)

Cheers guys, keep it all coming we're doing well :D
Boojakz.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
with the poor fuel economy it does sound like it needs a service. air filter/plugs and fuel filter also. then put a bottle of injector cleaner next time you fill the tank. use some premium fuel also as this will also help clean the fuel system etc then see if it still does the same etc

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Injectors have been done, Service has been quite recent (including fuel filter)...Basically the only things that haven't been replaced for a while are plugs and air filter. Fuel tank i reckon is full of crud and no amount of injector cleaner is going to get rid of that. How much would it cost to drop the tank and get it flushed out?

Cheers,
Boojakz.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
do it yourself :p

Just follow the instructions in the how to's section on replacing the fuel pump, but instead, after removing the fuel bump, tip it up and empty it out, throw some clean petrol in and shake it around, dump it out again, cant hurt I guess, just try not to drop it, empty fuel tanks are more dangerous then full ones.

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
Pull your spark plugs out one by one and check the condition maybe one is dirty could be causing your issue of unburnt fuel and that noise you noted above

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
ahhh yes that noise, non of us have really addressed that.

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
I'm just thinking irregular spark so fuel comes in doesn't spark then does in the dirty plug.

seveprim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Ok I think when ya installed ya new starter you may have misallined it somehow with the what ya call it .. i think it is the called a "ring gear on the fly wheel " on the back of the motor it maybe chipped or cracked so when it engages you are not picking up on all the points and then cracks snap and pops when it finally engages .. as for your smoke that is another story but it has always been a faulty coil pack or spark plug lead for me.... change the lot i say !!! New leads new coil pack!!!!

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Hmm that could get costly!!! I don't know about coil pack...i mean if it were that, shouldn't it be missing when accelerating and throwing out black smoke when hard accelerating too? With this is only happens when the car starts with a snap. It's becoming intermittant. Sometimes does the snap, sometimes not and i've noticed that when it does snap that's when i get the single puff of black smoke. Every other time it doesn't happen. As for the starter motor, it was fitted by auto elecs.

Cheers,
Boojakz.

seveprim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Being fitted by and auto elect does not excempt them form farking it up but it is less likely but I would certainly get it checked... It really does sound like the starter motor is misallinged or ring gear damaged ... especially since ya said it is intermittant .. I think the are 3 pick points on the ring gear and if one is damaged(pick up point) there is a 1 in 3 chance ya get it at random of course !!! Plus the trouble started after the replacement of it !