Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black Smoke Under Full Throttle

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Take your car to a Riad Transport Testing Station and have them check the levels of exhaust emissions. Your car might be illegal and in breach of Emission Control Act. Best get it sorted before authorities put it off the road. Good luck.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
im 99% certain that the motor is perfectly legal. the previous owner had the engine in a VK which went through regency park vehicle inspection before it got transplanted into the VB. the VK passed fine as the cam is only small/medium. I also got pulled over by a police officer last weekend who insisted on inspecting my car all over and the only issue he had with my car is my left brake light wasnt working. He even thought the quaddie was a holley just because the air filter cover is chrome, I had to try so hard not to laugh. He didnt even care how loud the VB is, and believe me its loud, at idle its loud enough to hear half a block away. Ive passed police cars many, many times and they dont have a problem with the car so I dont think the authorities are going to bust me for emissions any time soon

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Carby may just have a had a little sook for that instance mate. They're good at that.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
ive heard they can be a bit tempramental. one day when i have the money ill buy a wrecked vn ss manual and drop an efi v8 in

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
heh. missed this thread :( can i still put my 2 cents in?

quaddys are great for throwing fuel around in the bowl. if your cornering a bit fast it can slosh out of the whistle and dump a bit of fuel in the primary. too much fuel=carbon. also sometimes the primary pump is waaaay too rich for a bootfull, especially if you are cruising out of your power range, then floor it. it squirts a bunch of fuel in, which you dont use completely until your gotten back into your paower range (i.e. cruising at 2k rpm, power band is 3000) the unburnt mix comes out as carbon.

the joys of carbies mate ;) they are by no means perfect.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Your fuel consumption sounds (sadly) about right for city driving. Quadrajets are excellent carbies however they are overkill for a standard / mild 308 IMO (let alone 253's).