Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blaupunkt in SS. Small adjustment big improvement in sound

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
Hi Guys
I have the stock Blaupunkt head unit with the screen (11 speakers & subs etc) but have found the sound is generally not the greatest, particularly in the bass which is under powered as many people have noted.

Not ready to go replacing speakers etc yet so tried a tweak I found on the G8 forum and it has made a huge difference.

This unit has a small amp built in that is mounted just in front of the battery. On the bottom of the amp where you can't see it is a small adjuster which is apparently a gain control.
By factory default this is set at the 50% position but turning it up a bit makes a huge difference in the sound and gives the whole system much more punch.
When I turned it up to 100% the subs rattled the number plate and had a bit of trouble holding up at higher volume on bass heavey music but the sweet spot seems to be around the 80% mark.

Yes I know if I want great sound I should replace the speakers etc and even install a real amp but I am not ready to do that yet so this little quick fix will do nicely in the meantime.

For those who want to try it this is how you get at the amp
Some on the G8 forum say you can slip your fingers under the trim on the right hand side of the battery and feel the adjuster with your fingers, that didn't work for me so I started pulling stuff apart instead which turned out to be pretty easy.

- Remove the left hand side boot trim panel which covers the battery etc
- Next to the battery is a tilted mounting plate with the amp attached. To get at the adjuster you need to remove the amp from the mounting plate but you don't need to disconnect any wires at all.
- There are four silver screws between the battery and the mounting plate, loosen the bottom two a few turns and take out the top two, now you can slide the amp up and off the mounting plate.
- If you can't get at the bottom two screws (its a small space) just loosen the battery and slide it back a few cm being careful not to disconnect any venting systems etc.
- On the bottom of the amp is the adjuster which can be turned with a flat screwdriver or small coin.

This is literally a 10 minute job
Have a play with some music running and see if it helps.

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
Stupid question, does the same apply to the sv6 model? the principle that is.

Passion Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
....and the VE Calais?

Sounds an excellent tip boneart - thank-you!! :)

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
Not an expert on this but as far as I am aware it is only the models with the full 230 watt system (6 stacker CD, screen and 11 speakers incl subs etc installed) that have the seperat amp
That will be the SSV and the Calais V
Mine is an SSV

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Check out this thread from three years ago on the same topic:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/ve-holden-commodore-2006/57571-hidden-audio-amp-ves.html

Here's a good pic from that thread:

38474d1177310532-hidden-audio-amp-ves-gain.jpg

I pulled my boot trim apart when I first got the car but couldn't find the actual gain control, ran out of time and gave up.
Boneart, your explanation of where the gain control is and how to get to it is very handy, so I might give it another crack now. :thumbsup:

...Oh and according to that thread, the SV6's don't have amps btw...

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
That's right. Sadly SS, SV6, Calais etc don't have the amp. Only the models with the premium audio system have the amp to drive bass signals through the disconnecting the centre speaker is the only way to improve the sound on the basic set up for free. Otherwise you're looking at speakers, sound deadening, amps etc.

STOCKY SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Maybe a silly question, is the amp located in the same area in the SSV Sportswagon models??

ads1972

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
does anyone know where the amp is located on ssv ute

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
does anyone know where the amp is located on ssv ute

Do the utes even have the premium sound system? Just unsure where they'd put the two subs :confused: