Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blaupunkt Specs???

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
Can ANYONE tell me what the specs are for the standard VY Executive head deck?

Searched on the net for an hour and couldn't find diddily... Duh...

Thanks,

Morgasshk

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
What exactly do you need to know?

Mike S

Car Audio Pro
Reaction score
Are you talking about output power?. I did a quote on one the other day and the guy wants to keep the head unit and change all the speakers and add an amp and sub etc. I had a good listen to the deck with some test CD's and I was a bit dissapointed by the standard performance. remember the IASCA test disc?, the standard setup fails pretty misserably and I reckon its about 20 - 30 watts / channel. But if it's just bash bash thump thump you want it'll be ok if you add an amp etc.

Mike :)

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Yeah, want quality as well as quantity (wattage)...

Hmmm, definitely have to look at a better headeck.... You'd think they would start out with something with more power... oh well... Might just have to go with a DVD player... :p

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Actually, when you work it all out....NO headunit without a an extra built power supply can deliver more then about 17Wrms per channel. Use Ohms law and see what you get ;)

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Good one Trunk! HAH! Can't get over how these companies lead people on with their quoted ouput power. :rofl:

RMS, PEOPLE! That's the only REAL power measurement.

I actually got hold of the datasheet for the power amplifier chips used in the Blaupunkt - the power output quoted by SGS Microelectronics (manufacturer of the chip) for the TDA7375A device is 25W when in bridged mode (as it is in the Blaupunkt) if the voltage supply is 14.4V! The best voltage measurement I got out of the unit was 12.6V, which would equate to about 19W assuming every single connecion was perfect, and there are zero losses between the amp and speaker (those of us who live in the real world know that there's no such thing!), and that the amplifier's saturation voltage is zero. (the output transistors in most amps still lose about 0.3-0.5V at saturation) So Trunk, I reckon your 17W is pretty well on the button.

Oh - one tip for anyone with the Blaupunkt unit - DISABLE that silly "Audio Distortion Limiter" that comes up in the trip computer options. When I hooked up my amp it sounded like CRAP because this limiting function starts to activate when the level gets up a bit. It sounds HEAPS better at high levels with that turned off - you just have to be careful that you don't let things overdrive too much. Train your ear - you'll be able to hear when your amp or speakers are overloading.

(it's like the days before they put rev-limiters in cars, you had to make sure you weren't over-revving - sure the limiter makes life a bit easier, but....)

In fact, if the low-level signals are picked up from inside the Blaupunkt unit (and amplified externally), the sound quality is remarkably good for a stock system - as long as you turn off the distortion limiting!! ;) Then you don't have to worry about "stinger" converters for the buttons and so on.

(I also turned off that pain-in-the-arse "speed dependant volume" thingy)

Cheerz!

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
umm yeah, what is that anyway? ( i know, dumb question, but humour me!)

speed dependant volume? goes up if your going fast? or down? why?

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey Morg.

Not a dumb question really! :)

It simply increases the volume as your road speed increases. Supposedly to cover up road noise I guess.

I find it a pain-in -the-bum, 'coz while your cruising you set a nice level, then as soon as you pull up or slow down for whatever reason, down goes the volume.

Cheerz!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I used to think of it as a great reason to increase the volume....just increase my speed. I guess thats half the reason Mr. Plod said I have to walk for 10 months though huh?

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Heh...

Good one Trunk! :D